Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro M252dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Annoying issue.  Changed the black cartridge.  Prompts me to authenticate, thenm says it is "unable to access the internet to authenticate your cartridge"

Printer working fine - over WiFi.

Internet working fine

Where might the problem be?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello @RedHeadPeter,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you are having audio issues with your PC.

HP Toner Cartridge Authentication is free software from HP that validates that the installed cartridge(s) are Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges.

Customers will have improved visibility into the status of their cartridges (new, used, not genuine), thus helping them avoid becoming victims of fraud or counterfeit.

For more troubleshooting steps click here.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I just don't believe the incompetence of your reply. What could audio issues have to do with not being able to authenticate a cartridge. When I write 'it says' that isn't supposed to be taken literally as in 'the computer spoke'
HP Recommended

@RedHeadPeter

I see that you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, I'd like to help.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the issue better.

HP Toner Cartridge Authentication Software supports USB and network connected devices.

Try to connect the printer with a USB cable.

Click here and refer the document for more steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Then please explain why it has happily done the authentication over WiFi previously.
HP Recommended

Hi @RedHeadPeter,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you this has nothing to do with the connection, However, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having exactly the same problem and it is clear from the replies here that HP is incapable of understanding it.  Let's try again

1.I have bought authentic HP cartridges and installed them

I keep getting annoying popups asking me to authenticated the cartridges

When I try to do so I get a message that it cannot access the internet

There is nothing wrong with my internet connection

The main reason for paying over the odds for HP cartridges is the ability to earn loyalty points.   Clearly there is a bug in your software which makes this impossible.  Therefore I shall go on Amazon in future and buy compatible products at half the cost.

HP Recommended

I am having exactly the same problem and it is clear from the replie shere that HP is incapable of understanding it.  Let's try again:

1.    I have bought authentic HP cartridges and installed them

2.    I keep getting annoying popups asking me to authenticated the cartridges

3.    When I try to do so I get a message that it cannot access the internet

4.    There is nothing wrong with my internet connection

The main reason for paying over the odds for HP cartridges is the ability to earn loyalty points.   Clearly there is a bug in your software which makes this impossible.  Therefore I shall go on Amazon in future and buy compatible products at half the cost.

HP Recommended

OK, let's sum up this debacle.  

For no good reason lots of people find they can no longer authenticate their (very expensive) HP toner cartridges.

HP blame everything including dirty cartridges instead of the obvious answer which was that the HP server had become unavailable somehow

This goes on for weeks.

Lo and behold the problem goes away but no-one from HP has the decency or courtesy to come to the forums and apologise.

Rubbish!

Peter

HP Recommended

Couldn't agree more, although on the positive side I have just saved myself over £100!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.