Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M477dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi,

My Color Laserjet Pro MFP M477dw keeps printing the same document over and over even though it is no longer in the printing cue and other documents are. I have tried rebooting my computer as well as rebooting the printer several times. Nothing works.

In addition to this, the second page of the two page document it keeps reprinting is printing in what appears to be white ink on white paper--like a ghost image.

Lastly I am also getting two messages on the printer screen, one that says "Unexpected paper size, Load Oficio in Tray 2. Press OK to continue." When I press OK it begins printing the same document again. I have not changed paper sizes, it's standard 8.5 x 11 copier paper and the tray is full.

I need help!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It sounds like something is connected to your printer and sending jobs to it without your knowledge.  The empty or ghost print job could be a hardware failure or the result of driver corruption.

If USB connected then disconnect the USB cable to confirm the jobs are coming from the PC or not.

If Network connected then disable your network devices one at a time to isolate which one is generating the phantom jobs.

Once the machine is isolated proceed to reinstall drivers and software from HPs support website.  This should resolve any software related issues that we can help you with. 

If the ghost job proceeds from there then you might have a hardware problem.  Proceed to print off reports from teh control panel of the printer.  This eliminates interference from other network or USB connected PCs.  If the printer reports fail or look goofy then you know its a physical issue on the printer.  Let us know if you need more suggestions in this area.

The paper tray warning supports the theory that something is sending a bad job to the printer in your environment.  The printer is recieving a job that is asking for Oficio in Tray 2, and you do not have that paper type configured on the printer.  You need to stop the bad job from going to the printer in the first place.   That could be a driver issue or an application mis-configuration issue.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

First, delete and clear out any jobs in your print queue. Next, Try a power reset by unplugging the printer while it's ON, wait about a minute, then plug it back in and see what happens. It shouldn't do anything at this point. If it still tries to print, make sure you don't have any other computers or printers setup on your computer sending docs to your printer. If it doesn't print, then try a new print job. If you get "Unexpected paper size, Load Oficio in Tray 2. Press OK to continue." again, check your printer driver and application you are using for paper settings to make sure they are set correctly. Printers usually only ask for a unique paper type if it was sent to it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.