Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

My HP F4280 Deskjet refuses to print anything. My Computer is an HP G60 laptop 64bit. I can cue printing projects and when processing the printer starts blinking the "resume" light. I've gone thru every "trouble shooting" technique offered by HP to no avail. My F4280 won't even print a "self test" page by holding the power button and "X" button simultaniously. Is it software...mechanical or a combination. I am PERPLEXED !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey GinaKay,

Glad to hear that trick worked for you!  Main thing you have to watch for is the bag leaking, but sounds like you had great success.

I will keep this one in mind for the future.  

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

To test product hardware functionality, one is always advised to attempt to print a self-test report from the printer.  If the F4280 will not print a self test page by holding down the Power and X, then try to power cycle the printer.

if the unit still cannot print after a power cycling, then do you get any errors or messages when trying to print?  Usually if a printer cannot print from standalone, then it has an internal hardware problem.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

jason_h - Thanks for the reply...I have managed to get the printer to print an alignment page thru the 'Printer Preferences" in the printer "Properties ". & also by printing a page from the internet.

It seems to be working properly for now. Although it does print I've found it may need some Black ink (even though the ink indicater show Full)...It probably dried up from 6 months of dormancy. Ha!  All the print outs are in color tones.

PS - Just in case... Can you expand on what "power cycling" is, and how to perform that task?

Again, Thanks sooooo much for your help!!

GinaKay 

HP Recommended

Hey GinaKay,

It is possible that the ink cartridges dried up.  There is some documentation on how to store opened cartridges that can be found here.  This can help if you need to store the printer for a period of time again in the future.

As to power cycling:

* Unplug printer while unit is powered on

* Unplug other end of power cord from the direct wall outlet

* Wait 30 seconds

* Plug unit back in for power

This is also known as a Hard Reset.  Happy Printing.

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

jason - Thx again...Oh, That's what "Power Cycling" is...I knew that, Ha! You've helped greatly.

GinaKay 

HP Recommended

Glad to hear you are back up and going with the printer.  Keep the information around for cartridge storing if you need to store the printer again.  

If I was helpful in this thread, then remember one can always mark the post solved for other users to find the information in the future.  As well, one can show thanks by clicking on the KUDOS star on the left.

Best of luck in all your future printing needs!

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Jason - There's one little "trick" I experimented with that worked for me. Since my full black ink cartridge had dried up I put it in a zip-lock baggie, put it in a deep bowl with hot water in it and then put some weight on it to keep it down.

I did this a couple times and it un-solidified the ink. It took a couple of tries but after an hour or two black ink came out of the cartridge. I dried it off and put it in the printer...It worked just as normal...YaHoo !!! I saved having to buy a new cartridge.

Don't think it will dry up this time, now that I can use my printer regularly.

You can put that in your "Trick Bag" with my permission...Ha Ha!!

I'll punch the Kudos star upon your reply

GinaKay  

HP Recommended

Hey GinaKay,

Glad to hear that trick worked for you!  Main thing you have to watch for is the bag leaking, but sounds like you had great success.

I will keep this one in mind for the future.  

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Cannot print a self test and it is taking since yesterday to delete and will not delete therfore stopping mefrom printing any more documents My printer is hPdeskjet F2280 All-in-one

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.