Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
OS X 10.7

Using Mac 10.7.5 I'm able to print basic text from Word docs but when I try to print checks or PDFs with images, the light blinks then stops and nothing is printed except for once in a while, a page will print stating 'syntaxerror - Offending Command - n ostringval -'

I can't uninstall drivers because Apple has it installed automatically through Software Update.  Please help!  Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @glensound 

What printer model do you have?  How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Also, where are you seeing this error message? This type of message usually indicates an issue with the the font, or with the hard drive

You can find some helpful information here: Re: Printing Errors-ERROR: OFFENDING COMMAND

Here is an HP Manual this addresses Offending Commands and Possible Solutions.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

My printer is a 2550L Laserjet and the message comes out printed on a page, only every once in awhile.  Other times, the processing light blinks for several minutes and then nothing.  I've tried everything that I could find online to try and fix this.  Could there be anything else?

HP Recommended

Also, it would be great to find another printer whose driver I could you in lieu of the one that doesn't work.  If there's info on that, it could work!

HP Recommended

When the scaling option 'Shrink oversized pages' is chosen, I'm able to print but Actual Size does not work.  It worked before but now it's having trouble...

HP Recommended

Hi @glensound 

I suspect your question would be better answered in the HP Enterprise Business Community, as your HP Printer is a commercial model.

My technical expertise is with consumer products and software, I am sure the commercial folks would be happy to help if you re-post your question for them to answer. The HP Enterprise Business Community is an HP Forum designed for the Commercial and Enterprise customers to help one another. I am sure you will find some HP folks there to help too.

Click here to view the Printing and Digital Imaging. When the page opens you will see the option to 'Log in' or 'Register Now' on the right. The commercial forums are separate from the consumer boards, thus you will need to register if you don't already have a commercial account.

You may find the HP Color LaserJet 2550L Printer support page helpful while you wait for somebody in the commercial Forum to respond to your inquiry.

Best of luck.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This same thing happened to me on a Mac with a HP LAserjet CP5225 printer. I solved it by going into System Preferences>Printers>select the printer and delete it with the - button, then hit the +  button to add the printer again. This worked for me, as when I printed the page afterward, it worked fine.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with M402dw.

I understand that specific PDF object can create specific errors, but when it happens, it prints endless pages with error messages. It only prints few lines so the pages come out quickly, and the only way to stop it is to pull the power.

Checking the HP error code, give several suggestion for the cause, none were relevant.

I don't understand why:

1. pressing on the red/orange cancel button should stop any printing, even if the queue is not empty, and let the server know that printer is on hold. Why does say "canceling", but actually printed pages keep flowing?

2. with all the fancy LCD displays, why doesn't it just just display the error on the LCD instead of printing hunderd of pages?

Time to update that code from the 80s.

HP Recommended

Having the same exact problem with my M402dn. Tried printing a PDF and now the printer won't stop printing error messages. 

Screen stuck on "canceling".

Did you end up finding a fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.