Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The problem is simple. You print a job and it works perfectly. You then try to print another job and nothing happens. When I check the print queue I find that the first job has completed but remains in the queue marked as "printing" and never gets deleted. You can access and flag it for deletion and the status just changes to "deleting" and it never gets deleted!

If I go in via Settings, Printers, Manage - I can select "Troubleshoot". If there are two entries in the queue it successfully finds the problem and removes the first job allowing the second to print. Then the problem starts over again!

I have tried the following:

• Removed and reinstalled the printer
  • Removed all the HP software and reinstalled the printer
  • Run HP software diagnostics and updated everything they recommended
  • Downloaded and Installed the full HP Envy 4500 software
  • Run HP Print and Scan doctor 5.0
  • Tried simple printing again and the problem was still there
  • Tried deleting and it just hangs the print job
  • If there are two jobs in the queue, one waiting and one marked as "printing" you can delete the unprinted job but the problem one is still hung and if you use troubleshooter it correctly releases it but releases it for printing again!!!

Good old Microsoft have been issuing "cumulative " updates and I think HP may need to update their printer drivers or something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @John195207,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear you found a solution which you were looking for. 

I would recommend you keep the printer under observation and check how it works.

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @John195207,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with your HP Envy 4500 printer not printing. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you try to stop and re-start print spooler?

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Have you tried to update the firmware on the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let's try these steps here to clear the print spooler:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Restart your computer & printer and check.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, If your printer is connected wireleessly, I would suggest you could try assigning a static IP address and creating a TCP/IP Port and check if that helps.

Assign a manual IP and creating a TCP/IP port should resolve printer offline issue.

Watch the video to know how to assign a manual IP on HP Printer: http://hp.care/2cqpl6p  

Creating a TCP?IP Port:

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select “Devices and Printers” in the list of results
  2. Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.
  3. Click the Ports tab, Click on “Add port” select “Standard TCP/IP Port” and click “New Port”
  4. Click next on Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP Address and click next and then “OK”
  5. Now under the “Ports” tab you will find the new port with the printer IP address, click “Apply” and “OK”.
  6. Restart the computer.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I contacted Microsoft today and after 90 minutes and after them taking control plus at least three reboots the problem seems to be fixed. I believe it was a spoonler problem and they have made something "Automatic". I'm hopefull it really is fixed but really appreciate your comprehensive help which I will print and keep on file. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @John195207,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear you found a solution which you were looking for. 

I would recommend you keep the printer under observation and check how it works.

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.