Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

The HP Laserjet 1018 shows up as an unspecified device. I put the original installation disk in and ran it. When I get to the part to plug the printer in and turn it on, nothing happens. The only thing I have is the back button.

I thought windows 10 was "plug and play." So I removed the device, disconnected the printer, rebooted the computer and then plugged it back in. It still comes up as an unspecified device.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you sure LJ1018 is supported in WIN10, that a very old printer model? Can you try on a different computer with older OS like WIN7 to determine is this a printer problem or WIN10 problem.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

It just came off a Windows 10 computer. I am upgrading equipment. The "old" computer was really old (about 8 years old.) and started out as a Windows 7 machine.

My new computer can "see" my LJP 1102 on the network.

Could it be a hardware issue? However, a USB port is a USB port is a USB port. It should only be a matter of getting the right driver for it.

HP Recommended

One more thing. In the device manager, it shows up as a software device as does the other printer.

I right click on it and tell it to update the driver. It tells me that it already has the best driver: Generic Printer Device.

I removed it from the device manager and rebooted the computer. The device was restored, but there is no change in its status.

HP Recommended

I have no idea what I did to fix the issue. The last thing I did was to go out to windows to get a more extensive list of drivers.  I did not find a Laserjet 1018, but I did find one for a 1020 - close enough, I gave it a try. When it came to print the test page, nothing happened.

I went to dinner and when I came back the 1018 was on line as a printer along with the 1020 and 1022. The last two being "phantom" printers. I am afraid to remove them. 🙂

I still have no idea what happened. All I know is that I can print again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.