Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477dfw

I recently (April 6) bought the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw. It is already saying my toner is low.  The reason I bought it is because it says the toner life is 5000 pages. There  is no way I have printed 5000 pages.  I am interested in if there is a page counter to see how many I have printer.  To buy toner, it is another $400 for the 4 different colors.  I got away from the inkjet due to the cost of toner cartridges and it appears I may have not changed a thing except now the toner cartridges are much, much more expensive.   Maybe the initial cartridges don't come fully loaded??  Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.Normally the first toners you use to start the machine does not get that amount of prints.This is due to the start up process to fill up all the tanks with toner.The second batch will be what you expect.You can print a report from the machine for supply status and also a configuration report that will give readings you need.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

I was able to figure out the report that would give me a count. I bought the printer thinking I have 5000 prints before I would have to purchase new toner cartridges. The actual count is 1510 for black and 1456 for color. Significantly less than tauted.  I'm disappointed.

HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.Like i tried to explain the first cartridge is a starter kit to get the machine up and running and with the next toners you will find the output quantity more sufficient.Hope this helps.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

I understand you explaining this and thank you for your answer. However, it was not explained prior to my purchase. Maybe a discount for your first purchase of ink would be a nice gesture for your customers.  It is not an insignificant cost and it was not anticipated.  Again, thank you for your prompt responses. 

HP Recommended

For a new printer is possible to read on the carton box, the number of pages declared by the first set of included cartridges.

For HP PRO M477fdw is: more or less 2300 pages for the black cartridge and more or less 1200 pages for color cartridges.

The spare cartridge HP 410A is again more or less 2300 pages for the black and 2300 pages for color cartridges.

The spare cartridge HP 410X is more or less 6500 pages for the black and 5000 pages for color cartridges if the X model is available on your market.

Enjoy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.