Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 400 M425dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have several of these printers, and almost all of them suffer from their displays freezing (occationally).

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest level (20160224), but that does not seem to fix the issue.

The only way to unfreeze the screen is to physically reboot the printer.

Ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Do you know if the printers freeze after a certain event, like waking from sleep, receiving a print job, or receiving a fax?

I am an HP employee.
Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.

Reminder: Please select the Accept as Solution button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the Kudos button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello,

No, there is usually nothing going on at the time of the freezing , I cannot say if the printer is in standby mode or not (will have to check and get back to you on that). 

They have been updated to the lastest firmware tho ..

A reboot usually fixes the issue, but during the day the issues always return. I know one of these printers is not setup

for faxing, but they all scan to local and or network folders. 

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Hi pjamies,

Could you share with me some information regarding your printer?  If you do not want to post on the forums, feel free to send me a private message.

• When the control panel is frozen, can you see anything on the screen?  (ex: is it black, or does it show the menus)
  • What I/O connections have you configured on the printer?  (ex: USB, Ethernet, Wireless)
  • What are your EcoSMART Console Settings?  This page can be found in the Embedded Web Server (IP address of printer) under System > EcoSMART Console.  I'd like to know the Sleep/Auto Off After time, what "Wake on These Events" are checked, and what the "Shut Down After" setting is.
  • Generally, how long do you have to wait before the control panel is frozen?

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP
HP Recommended

hello,

do you mean the CP freezing without sending any jobs? after reboot it will recovery but after a while it will happen again?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Using control Panel - - - -2ndary Service>Calibrate Touch Screen

Using EWS Page - - -System Tab>Service

Touch Screen can also be calibrated by pressing the ? button then the Home button, ?, and Cancel buttons at the same time.  

HP LaserJet Pro M401, M425 MFP, M521 MFP and HP LaserJet Pro Color M375 MFP, M475 MFP, M570 MFP - Touch Screen Not Responding / Display Offset / Control Panel Calibration

Issue:

The product's touch screen does not respond to touch or the touch screen is offset (touch triggers a different option than intended).

Solution:
  1. Update the product's firmware to the latest available at HP.com.

2. From the control panel's Home Screen, select the Setup menu.

Figure 1:

3. Enter the 2ndary Service menu by pressing the left arrow and cancel symbols simultaneously <Figure 2>. Be aware the left arrow and cancel symbols are not visible at this screen, just press as indicated in the picture. This should return you to the Home Screen. If not, repeat this step.

Figure 2: Press both areas indicated by the red arrows to activate the 2ndary Service menu

From the Home Screen, select the Setup menu again. This time the option 2ndary Service should appear at the top of the list <Figure 3>.

Select/touch the 2ndary Service menu.

Figure 3: Select/touch 2ndary Service

4. Scroll down and select Calibrate Touch Screen <Figure 4>.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the calibration.

NOTE: If the 2ndary Service Menu is not accessible due the calibration issue, the control panel can be calibrated by the below two additional methods:
    1. The Touch Screen Calibration can also be started from the product's Embedded Web Server (EWS). Enter the products IP address in a web browser. Select the System tab then Service.

2. The Touch Screen can also be calibrated by pressing the ? button then the Home button, ?, and Cancel buttons at the same time.

5. If the issue persists, replace the control panel.

6. If the issue persists, replace the formatter board.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Answers to your questions:

- The screen looks fine, but response to a selection press takes 5~10+sec to respond

- IPv4 - hard wired connected

- Sleep/Auto-off after 4mins

Wake on these events (All selected)

Shutdown after - Never

- Cannot be totally sure, will stick around after a reboot and see ..

Will run the re-calabration suggestion ..

HP Recommended

Hello,

I cannot seem to walk through your instructions.

1st the pics did not come out

Then all of the special arrow presses do not exist on this printers display..

There is no left arrow keys and the cancel key does not show up in this specific

screen (Setup menu) .. There are only Up and down options, a back button and Home

button.

The printer has the lastest firmware

The display frezzing usually occurs after a copy or scan has happened.

Only way to fix the issue is hard-reboot

HP Recommended

Hi pjamies,

Thanks for following up regarding your CP issue.  Instead of attempting the key presses, could you please follow these EWS instructions:

1) Navigate to your printer's embedded web services page via IP address.

2) Select the "System" tab.

3) Select the "Service" link on the left side.

4) Under the "Touch Screen Calibration" heading, click on "Start Calibration."

Please reply with whether this process worked for you.  Let me know if you need step-by-step pictures for these instructions.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP
HP Recommended

its simple,replace the formatter board of the machine.the board which you connect to the pc

@XZH wrote:

hello,

do you mean the CP freezing without sending any jobs? after reboot it will recovery but after a while it will happen again?

Thanks

yes its the formatter board,the board is defective so replace the board

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.