Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I just purchased a Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw and I can print documents that are words, but if a picture or image is in a document it gets held up.  I tried to print a 2 page PDF this afternoon and it took an hour to print.  When I select print the printer says it is "Printing document" but my computer is held up in the connecting to printer task.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled my printer multiple times now.  Powered off my printer and tried turning back on.  I have restarted my computer every time i have uninstalled and reinstalled the printers.  I am working from wifi, but when I connect with the USB, nothing changes.  I feel like I need to adjust the quality of photos or something to get this printer to print.  Any suggestions will be helpful as I have been messaging with HP the past two days.  The only suggestions they have had for me are what I have already done.  My coworker is struggling with the same issue on with his mac and printer connecting (same series).  thank you for the help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It sounds like there is a driver conflict between your OS, the printing application and the printer.  When jobs are converted into printer language via the current print driver it runs into a loop of some kind.  This results in extra long waits and queue times for various jobs.  We see this with MS Powerpoint when background images are included on the prints.  The images are often too complex for the printer driver to convert into a clean print stream and the process crawls along.

Lets isolate the problem:

1. Print images of various sizes from several applications.  See if there are certain apps, file types or sizes where the problem starts and stops.

2. Transfer the same documents to a non Mac OS or a different Mac OS version.  This will provide an alternative driver to the same document.

3. Try printing the demo page from the control panel of the printer.  If the printer cannot process images of any kind from the control panel then you have either a firmware issue or a physical memory/CPU issue that needs to be resolved first.

4. Watch the print stream as you send jobs to the printer.  I'm not sure how you do this on Mac but on Windows you can open the "Whats Printing" window for a print queue.  This exposes the current job details such as name, number of pages and the file size as it is sent to the printer.  You can see how much overhead the printer driver adds to a print job as it converts your images to printer language.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.