Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
11-13-2020 03:12 AM - edited 11-13-2020 08:08 AM
Model: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw
Yesterday it stopped printing, the screen shows "Supply Problem" on all 4 toner cartridges. These are 3rd party as the HP ones are insanely expensive here.
I'm guessing this has to do with the 20201021 firmware update, considering all the other posts in these forums.
1. How can I rollback to the previous firmware? It has been removed from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer/M180_M181/
2. Can I disable updates in the future? I see no option anywhere in the configuration page accessed via http.
3. If I connect it via USB (not network like it is now) and share it through Windows, will it find a way to update itself anyway?
4. What are HP update servers so I can block them in the firewall?
Thanks in advance.
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-13-2020 09:23 AM
Found the solution after some digging:
1. Download firmware from: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu
2. Enable FTP in printer: http://<printer_ip> > Networking > Configuration/Advanced > FTP Printing > Apply
3. In Windows, open cmd.exe > cd to .rfu directory > ftp <printer_ip>
Local file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu
Remote: file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu
4. Printer's screen will show "Calibrating", wait until it finishes
5. (optional) Disable FTP Printing
(And then drop outgoing connections from the printer in the firewall, but that's for another forum...)
11-25-2020 09:02 AM - edited 11-25-2020 04:03 PM
Yeah, they moved it. You can get a copy of it here:
Or, Archived for posterity:
HP, that's some shady practices. I will be switching back to Brother after this.
11-25-2020 02:15 PM
I was able to disable future updates using the onboard interface of my LaserJet MFP M180nw.
I went to the wrench > service > laserjet update > manage update > allow updates > off.
I found this link on the topic of disabling updates: https://notesread.com/how-to-remove-or-disable-automatic-updates-for-an-hp-printer/
11-25-2020 06:12 PM
Hi there, I just ran into this exact problem on the same printer. I'm not understanding exactly your steps to solve it. I downloaded the firmware, I just need some help in getting this resolved. Could you possibly explain this procedure step by step for me? I'm not sure how to enable ftp printing. I enter my printer's ip address in a search bar but it doesn't take me anywhere. I also don't understand the procedure once I open a cmd prompt. Please help me get past this disaster. Much appreciation.
11-27-2020 01:46 PM - edited 11-27-2020 01:50 PM
I've figured out how to solve this. Let me first say that this is a terrible problem to inflict on your customers by HP; this is anti-competitive and anti-customer; I even called HP and they said "We no longer support 3rd party manufacturers"; I'm sure they'd give some official BS that it's "to ensure the best experience by making sure all parts used are blah blah blah" when in reality my printer was working fine until HP effectively took the printer hostage demanding I buy their overpriced toner. Now, instead of buying a toner cartridge from them, I will simply never buy anything including their printers - and I will encourage everyone that will listen to do the same.
Unfortunately, if you have a Mac, this is extra difficult -- I had to:
- FInd a copy of the last firmware that worked
- Find a copy of the firmware update utility
- On the Firmware Update Utility, replace the .rsu file with the copy I found in step one (Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> Firmwares -> pyramid.HpFirmware -> Contents -> Resources ->)
- Rename the .rsu file from step one to "pyramid.rsu"
- Run the update
To make it easier for the next person, here's the file that solved this you can use: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1E2KB9qZCb08ipAFOo2ZPCI2UAokSrz/view?usp=sharing
HP has proven to be determined to block out competition so the above links may not work for long. Hopefully this helps you. Be sure to block future updates so they can't do this to you again.
11-27-2020 05:14 PM
Can someone explain this in super straight forward easy to understand directions for a PC with Windows 10? I also seem to have difficulty with the printer being online, it just stays offline. I factory reset the printer, reinstalled the printer, everything says it's connected, I even can log into the printer webpage using its ip address. Yet as soon as I try to access the printer status it says offline. I just want this stupid thing to work with my toner cartridges I have been using all the time without issue until now.