Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet cp1025nw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My printer was working fine, wirelessly, with my Mac (for years!) until last night. Now my Mac can't find the printer. It is not listed in Printers & Scanners ("no printer is available"), so what do I do? Please help! Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@joe902,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• What is the Wireless Light status on the printer? Is it solid or flashing? 

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Check If the printer and MAC are connected on the same network

• On the MAC click on the WiFi symbol and check the network name to confirm the network.

• On the printer control Panel, press and hold the resume button to print the network configuration page
  • Check if the printer and Mac are connected to the same network.

Step 2: Add the printer to your MAC

• Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

• Click Printers & Scanners or Print & Scan.
  • If your printer is listed, click the name of your printer, then click the minus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/161/c01861703.gif to delete the printer. 
  • Click the plus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/466/c03678294.gif, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer.
  • Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer.

( For printers connected on Wireless select AirPrint or Secure Airprint)

• Click Add to add the printer to the list.
  • Try to print.
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Restart the WiFi Router, Printer, and MAC

• Turn off the Wifi Router, wait for 60 seconds, turn it back on.
  • Turn off the Printer, wait for 60 seconds, turn it back on.
  • Restart the MAC
  • Go to system preferences and try to add the printer again.
  • Try to print

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Atharva-gp

Thank you for trying to help. The network configuration page, when printed, tells me the printer is not connected. And my printer is not listed in Printers & Scanners - in fact nothing is listed there. It's as if my printer suddenly doesn't exist! What do I do? Oh, and the wireless light status is flashing, not solid. 

HP Recommended

@joe902,

I think the printer has been disconnected from the network since the wireless light is flashing.

Let's try to re-connect the printer back to the network.

Refer to this video for connecting the printer to the Wireless network.

Let me know if this helps.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Watched the video, but problem is when I click on Printers & Scanners in System Preferences I'm told "No printers are available". If I then click on + to set up a printer,  I've no idea what I'm supposed to write in the box with "Name" and "Kind" at the top...

HP Recommended

@joe902,

You don't have to write anything. The printer would automatically show up the printer on the Add printer screen if it is connected to the network.

• Is the wireless light on the printer solid or flashing?

If the wireless light is solid, follow these steps to add the printer to your MAC:

• Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

• Click Printers & Scanners or Print & Scan.
  • If your printer is listed, click the name of your printer, then click the minus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/161/c01861703.gif to delete the printer. 
  • Click the plus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/466/c03678294.gif, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer.
  • Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer.

( For printers connected on Wireless select AirPrint or Secure Airprint)

• Click Add to add the printer to the list.
  • Try to print.

If the printer's wireless light is flashing, we need to connect the printer to the WiFi network

• Follow instructions from this video to set up the printer with the WiFi network. Also, refer to this document for more info.
  • Once the printer is connected, add the printer to your MAC using the above steps.

Let me know if this works or if you need any further help.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, but you keep repeating the same thing! And the video is no help whatsoever (my printer is not connected with a USB cable; it WAS, until a few weeks ago, working fine wirelessly). You don't seem to understand: my printer, apparently, DOES NOT EXIST, as far as my Mac is concerned. There are NO printers to select from in the System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. So, PLEASE, what do I do?? In simple, clear stages - no irrelevant videos. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@joe902,

The printer does not exist since it has been removed from your MAC and disconnected from the Network. (The Wireless light is flashing)

The Printer "HP Color Laserjet CP1025" does not have a display panel to select the network details from the printer directly.

Here are 2 ways to connect the printer back to the network.

• WPS method
  • Using a USB cable.

Method 1: Using WPS (If you have a WPS enabled router)

• Press and hold the wireless button on the printer to enable WPS(WiFi Protected Set Up)
  • On the Wireless Router, Press and hold the WPS button for 3-5 seconds and release the button.
  • Wait for a few seconds and check the printer's wireless light.
  • If the Wireless light on the printer turns solid, it means the printer has been successfully connected to the network
  • Add the printer to the MAC from the system preferences menu.

Method 2: Using a USB cable

A USB cable can be used to transfer the network settings from the MAC to the printer and the printer can be connected to WiFi.

• Connect the MAC to the desired WiFi network.
  • Connect a USB cable between the printer and the MAC.
  • Please follow the instruction from this video to convert the USB connection to Wireless. Refer to this document for more information.
  • The Wireless light would turn solid if successfully connected.
  • Add the printer to the MAC from the system preferences menu.

Let me know if this information helps or if you need any further assistance.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried holding down the wireless button but it doesn't turn solid - it just keeps flashing as before... 

HP Recommended

@joe902,

• Have you tried pressing the Wireless button on the printer first and then the WPS button on the router?

If you have already tried Method 1 from the above post and if that is not working, try method 2 using a USB cable between printer and MAC.

Follow the instructions from the above post to convert the USB connected printer to wireless.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.