Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M203DW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have been long time HP users. I wrote an article back in the early 90's how we used HP printers to merge AutoCAD drawings and our Barcoded ERP software to print Flyers(Work Orders) using HP macro language. It was published in Laserjet Journal a long time ago.  

Now cut to 2018, and we are finally getting Windows 10 computers (64-bit), and we need to re-create a lot of what we use because of the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit technology. 

We were downloading 2 fonts ( A code 39 barcode font and a lines/characters font) using a program by HP called Fload.exe.    Fload does not want to run in Windows 10.  I've tried a few 32-bit simulators (vDos and DosBox) but the download doesn't happen. It says it happens, but it does not download anything. 

My question is, what is the current equivalant to fload.exe ?  The current batch of printers we have are Laserjet Pro M203dw, connected via usb (then we do NET USE LPT1 \\nw001\hplaser)    Once we download the fonts into the printers, they stay there until the printer is physically turned off, so we don't need to do it that often.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks everyone. I used Vedit to edit the PCL file so that the first font was ID 1 and the second font was ID 2.  Works like a charm now. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Looking through the archive, I have found where dansdaduk helped someone solve almost the same problem I have. However, we are downloading two font files. When I download the second one, it overwrites the first one. Presumably because there is only one fontid_1.pcl file?   I tried copying it and renaming a second one fontid_2.pcl but that didn't work. I have not opened up the .pcl file to see the content. Here is what I think I need (but someone please pipe in and tell me I'm wrong). 

copy /b fontid_1.pcl + bc309a08.sfp + fontpermanent.pcl lpt1

copy /b fontid_2.pcl + lp120r10.l7p + fontpermanent.pcl lpt1

If I do each of these one at a time, they both work individually, but they overwrite each other so I can't get both to work in the printer at the same time. 

HP Recommended

Does anyone know of a good PCL editor? Also, any pointers to some good dos command forums? 

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone. I used Vedit to edit the PCL file so that the first font was ID 1 and the second font was ID 2.  Works like a charm now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.