Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 4050
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have just updated my router and it has assigned new IP addresses.  My HP4050 is connected to the new router's Ethernet port via a fully operational Ethernet cable, but will not print (I get the steady green light, but not the flashing orange one).  I have tried setting up the printer as a new one, but no luck.  I have printed the configuration page on the printer, and it showed the IP address as being in the old router's range.  I have tried to update this, and the DNS and GW settings, to the new router's range manually on the printer and rebooted both the printer and router, which now shows the printer has a static lease in the correct IP range.  I have also contacted the router supplier who confirms after a trouble shooting process that the router and port are working fine.  All to no avail and I am beginning to lose the will to live.  Can you help?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You could try updating the firmware on the card (you need a utility called HP Download Manager). It is a 600N card, one of the oldest they make. That one might have jumpers on it to change from auto detect speed to locked at 10 or 100 and if there is I would try setting it to 100. If that does not work I would not waste a lot of time. The 620 cards are readily available. DO NOT PURCHASE A 615N card. They are very unreliable. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@PauBar 

Hello,

What is the exact model of your printer (e.g. CB747A)?
To locate this Product Number P/N: this document.

In order to solve this issue, configure a new port as follows:

1. On the keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the R key simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  2. Type control printers, then press Enter. The Devices and Printers window opens.
  3. Right-click on your printer icon, then click on Printer properties, click on the Ports tab, and click on Add Port....
  4. Select Standard TCP/IP Port and click New Port....
  5. Click Next, then enter the printer's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.97) in the Printer Name or IP Address field and click Next.
  6. Once the port is added, click Finish and close all windows.
  7. Try to print.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,🤠

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Can you please post which JetDirect card you are using? The model is printed near where the network cable plugs in. It is entirely possible that if you have an older 600 or 610 card that the card has failed or cannot communicate with your new router. That means you would require a newer 620n or newer which support fully modern network standards.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response.

My printer seems to be a C4253A, LaserJet 4050N.

The JetDirect Card on the printer itself has only 3 numbers, 10, 100 and RJ-45.  However when I print the configuration sheet it calls it J3113A manufactured 07/2000, so pretty old alright.
Have tried the new port option before and again just now, but still no luck.

Paul
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response.

My printer seems to be a C4253A, LaserJet 4050N.

The JetDirect Card on the printer itself has only 3 numbers, 10, 100 and RJ-45.  However when I print the configuration sheet it calles it J3113A manufactured 07/2000, so pretty old alright.

Paul
HP Recommended

You could try updating the firmware on the card (you need a utility called HP Download Manager). It is a 600N card, one of the oldest they make. That one might have jumpers on it to change from auto detect speed to locked at 10 or 100 and if there is I would try setting it to 100. If that does not work I would not waste a lot of time. The 620 cards are readily available. DO NOT PURCHASE A 615N card. They are very unreliable. 

HP Recommended

Hi Mans,

Got it sorted, needed to do a cold reset on the JetDirect card to get it to understand the new IP addresses, so now have it working. Thanks for your help, certainly you pointed me in the right direction, and a bit of research on the JetDirect card, made it all come together.

Thanks again.
HP Recommended

Interesting to see that a cold reset did the trick. Keep that in mind for future issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.