Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

My HP p1102w printer (using "NPIAE42CO" address) has the message "Attention required".  I've unplugged from a power strip, plugged directly into the wall, downloaded updated firmware, rebooted my computer and the message remains.

What attention is needed??

We can print successfully using "HPeprint", but wawnt to simply print from our laptops wirelessly.

Please help!  We have been struggling with intermitent printing capability for far too long now, repeatedly installing and uninstalling the printer.  Its time to fix this once and for all!

thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @ClarkstonLinda,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your inquiry.

I understand that you are using an HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer with a Windows 8.1 computer and you are able to use HP ePrint to send print jobs to the printer but when you try to print wirelessly on your network you get an "Attention required" message. I would like to help with that.

"Attention required" is kind of a general error message that shows up on the computer. you might be able to find out what the issue is by checking the lights on the printer and then refer to this support document to see if there is a blinking light scenario that matches what the printer is doing - Blinking Lights.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I'm having the same trouble.  I have a P1102w laserjet which has never really behaved since I "upgraded" to Windows 10.

The latest problem was "printer offline".   I went through the procedure shown in Google

"Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results. Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties. Select the TCP/IP port being used, and then click Configure Port. Remove the checkmark from SNMP Status Enabled, and then click OK."

which simply meant that the document instead threw up a general "error printing" message.

Often the printer will fail to print which I generally fix by reinstalling a new version of the printer and deleting the old.  However. now I am getting the error message "Attention required".  There are no flashing lights and the printer prints quite happily from a Macbook so it is definitely a Windows issues.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I am using W10 64 bit wirelessly from my Aus laptop. I´ve got the same error message. I´ve removed the printer several times and installed it again with no success.

HP Recommended

I am getting the same thing.  Nothing I do seems to fix it.  Yet, I can print to it fine if I am connected with a USB cable.  does anyone have a fix for this?  I am extremely frustrated.

HP Recommended

Hello, @PeggyE3060

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

I see that you can print while connected using the USB cable. Hence, let's first try and update the printer firmware. 

Go to http://hp.care/2o1xShv to download and update the firmware. Once done, try performing a hard reset on the printer as suggested below:

·         With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

·         Remove USB cable, if present.

·         Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

·         Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

·         Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, please reply with the operating system on your PC. 

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Just downloading and installing the software and driver on the laptop as mentioned, solved the problem.

When the printer was first set up it was not necessary to install the software on the laptop since it was already installed on the desktop but doing so now solved it.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the same "attention required" with the HP P1109W printer on the network. THis is when printing from a DELL desktop unit on Win 10.

In the same room, my Dell laptop, on the same Win 10 operating system, does print via the network, to this printer.

I have unistalled the drivers and downloaded that driver file several times. 

Is it possible to use USB and network printer settings - USB from the desktop and Network from the laptop? I've been told only use one or the other.

HP Recommended

The same problem just popped up for me. I can print from my other two computers. I can print from my iPhone. But I can't print from my Windows 10 computer. I just changed my cartridge with a non-HP cartridge. If I put the old cartridge, I can print fine. If I put the new cartridge I can't print. 

I hate HP for this. I'm sure there is a lawsuit somewhere about this subject (forcing people to buy their cartridges by not allowing them to print via software) and they lost. I'm looking for information on that.  I believe there is also a patch somewhere for this.

Come on HP! This sucks! I already bought the printer. 

HP Recommended

After considerable frustration I found that my printer was not properly installed even though it showed up in the "Printers and Scanners" list.

Make sure you install the printer including the step that requires you to temporarliy connect the printer to PC via USB cable. I know, it's a wireless printer. But it still requires connection via USB for installation in Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.