Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Installed the printer and everything worked fine. Went into the web portal to go and set an admin password and now I cannot log in. I used 1Password to generate the password and it saved it immediately. I did not make a mistake or forget to save it. 1Password saved it immediately and I am entering the password correctly. My password is 20 characters long with letters, numbers and special characters that are supported. 

According to the page where you set the characters this is what is permitted: "The password can only consist of the following printable ASCII characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the following special characters:!"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~". So just to make sure I checked my password again and it does conform to these rules. After resetting the printer to factory default, I decided to type in some accented characters to see if it checks. It does  and responds with the message "

• Password: Invalid input.
  • Confirm Password: Invalid input."

So you can't type bad characters by accident. My guess is it doesn't check the length or something else is wrong. I tried setting it to another 20 character password and same problem. I went down to 14 and it works now. More and more people are using 1Password or other similar tools so this will become more prevalent moving forward (I keep all my passwords at 20 unless otherwise specified).

I have a very strange feeling that this device does not support long passwords and that it does not inform you when you choose something too long and somehow either crops or does something else. Can anyone at HP tell me what the maximum password length is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi usr34246b5,

just wanted to let you know that you saved my day. Same problem, also using 1password.

HP's password handling is still crap as of July 2017, accepts passwords of 20 chars length, but will silently cut after 16 chars.

So, you don't need to factory reset your device in case of lockout, just use the first 16 chars of your password.

@HP, this is embarrasing. Fix it.

Best,

Stefan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @usr34246b5

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're looking to learn more about  Embedded Web Server (EWS) admin password settings for your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One.  I would like to help.

Scanning through the printer's user guide and researching on the web didn't result in a concrete answer.  So, I took a more hands-on approach.  I tested out the EWS password settings on the same printer model in my office and have found that 16 characters is the max you can use (as long as you keep it within the prescribed ASCII friendly format).  Accordingly, your 20 character passwords will never work, but you should be able to up it to a 16 character password if you like. 

I hope this helps.  Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum and have a great day!  :robotvery-happy: 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi usr34246b5,

just wanted to let you know that you saved my day. Same problem, also using 1password.

HP's password handling is still crap as of July 2017, accepts passwords of 20 chars length, but will silently cut after 16 chars.

So, you don't need to factory reset your device in case of lockout, just use the first 16 chars of your password.

@HP, this is embarrasing. Fix it.

Best,

Stefan

HP Recommended

You're welcome! These kinds of things are so frustrating especially when you set the password and accept the fact that the change was successful only to return weeks later very confused.

HP Recommended

Wanted to add that this worked for me. Same situation. The password was silently truncated to 16 characters. All those on this thread - THANK YOU!!!! 🙂

Of other note. None of the solutions on the site for dealing with an unknown password worked including all resets from the control pannel. If one does not know the admin password, a method of clearing the web server and it's settings has not been documented. Seems like a worthy discussion. We should center on the latest firmware version which as I suspect is exhibiting new behavior. Latest as of this post is WEBPDLPP1N001.1726D.00.

I hope this is not the latest as this printer is stil subject to  the KRACK vulnerability. Mine is hardwired but if you arrive here to read this, turn off all wireless features please. Code injection to a printer trusted by software on all your end user devices is NOT a good thing. Pressure HP to come out with a KRACK fix!!

Hey HP, come out with a KRACK fix please and soon - like yesterday. First vendor who does, wins the business of my software startup!

Greg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.