Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

THANK-YOU! I had no idea how to fix that one! and you made it so simple. : )

HP Recommended

I saw the one resolution on the forum which is delete printer jobs, but no printers are listed in Devices and Printers so I can't use that solution.  Only 2 devices are shown:  HP Webcam and my personal pc.  Should I delete the entire software for the officejet pro L7650 all-in-one and start over?

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for providing such a nice and detail information. It works, and now I am able to take printout of documents I needed. :generic:

HP Recommended

I agree with JRMD.  HP printer software (HP Officejet 4500 Wireless) causes print spooler issues on any computer on which it is installed in our household-home offices.

I have implemented a work-around in Windows 7 by setting Print Spooler startup to Automatic under Administrative Services.  Also on the Recovery tab (Print Spooler Services), I set Subequent failures to "Restart the Service".

There is a 1 minute delay (I think that is the minimum time) with the restart, which is frustrating.  But at least I don't have to restart my computer.  Spooler failures usually generates error messages to send to Microsoft - something like "Spooler Subsystem App stopped working".

Today however the print spooler failed while doing a print job - that was a first.  I was doing manual duplexing at the time, so couldn't access the screen that prints the second page when the spooler restarted.

All in all, these HP printers tend to be very frustrating to operate without issues.  Why doesn't HP just do a fix like JRMD suggests.

HP Recommended

Print spooler not runnign onor will it restart in services under adminstartive tools?

HP Recommended

@collaborate wrote:

Hello all.  I am freaking out. I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP and a HP 1012 Laserjet. The laserjet has been working fine and suddenly yesterday evening it stopped being able to print. I get the message:  print spooler service is not running. I have tried a lot of things I found on the internet to get it going again but nothing has worked so far.  

Please understand that I am not a computer nerd or technically inclined. But I can follow instructions if they are clear.

Also, as I was getting ready to post this message, the printer suddenly printed out a page that said the following:

PCL EL error

Subsystem:  IMAGE

Error:  InsufficientMemory

Operator:  0x46

Position:  9

?????????? What on earth does that mean?

I had not installed new software for a couple of weeks prior to this happening yesterday evening. 

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

I NEED my printer to get my work done.

I also do not seem to be able to install a printer either! So I cannot even try to reinstall the printer driver software.

Thanks in advance,

Virginia

how can we install the free software if the disk has been lost? So as to know how to fix the problem of the print spooler not running ,i know somneone has to know how to remedy this problem ,. Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi cinque,

You can get the software/drivers you need for the HP Laserjet 1012 by clicking HERE.

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

My printer stopped working from my Dell computer,Says Spooler not found. HELP. Am a dummy when it comes to fixing this.

HP Recommended

Hi billsfrog,

What operating system is on your Dell (XP, Vista, 7)? Also, what make/model printer do you have?

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi billsfrog.

Restarting your computer should solve the problem, but it will show up again as most issues with HP software do.

Once the print spooler is working again, try the solution written up by bt12mar (early March 2012 date) if you are comfortable enough to do that fix.  This causes your computer to continually restart the spooler (when the HP software shuts it down) without you having to reboot.

I find that when the spooler shuts down, it is back working properly in about a minute.

If you are uncomfortable making changes under "Control Panel", perhaps have a tech-savy friend help you out.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.