Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP15 computer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I have an HP 15 computer I'm trying to change the print preferences so I can print using a color cartridge but my preferences are locked
How do I unlock them? I'm using Windows 10.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Pafflo21,

Going through your post the issue seems to be with the printer drivers. I would recommend a clean install to fix this issue. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Pafflo21,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues printing in color from your HP Printer. Don’t worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I’ll need a few more details.

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to remove the ink cartridges, Clean the ink cartridge contacts, and then insert the cartridges and check if that helps?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let’s try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out fine, I would suggest the printer hardware is fine, then I would suggest the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers.

Please respond to this post with the details of the product as well as with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am (and was)able to photocopy in color however I did follow your instructions below. It didn't make a difference. Still can't print in color. The Model of my PC is 15-r110dx. Here is further explanation: My color ink preference is currently set to print in black ink. That is the default. I want to change the default & add the color ink but when I'm in the print screen and choose color (& some of my print screens don't even give me that option)it doesn't hold and I get the message "color was changed because of a conflict with another printer setting". When I go into my settings under printer preference, all the preferences are locked. There are two printers listed on my PC: HP Officejet 5740 series which is my default and HP29B2E1 (HP Officejet 5740 series). At one time my default was on the second one. Also, I'm sure the default to print in black ink only was made before I went up on Windows 10. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I don't want to try to uninstall & install the print drivers myself as I had a problem a few months ago with not being able to print at all. I hired an IT person to fix it which took hours. He finally got it to print so I am afraid to mess with that! If you think that might solve the problem I will call him back to do the uninstall & install. Thanks in advance for any other suggestions!!

HP Recommended

Hi @Pafflo21,

Going through your post the issue seems to be with the printer drivers. I would recommend a clean install to fix this issue. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. I am now printing in color.

I have another issue. How can I block the email pop-ups from appearing all the time when on the internet? So very annoying!!

HP Recommended

Hi @Pafflo21,

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day.

I'm the Raj1988 & I'm at your service.

I'm delighted to hear that it's working!

Appreciate your efforts!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉  

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Raj,

Can you answer my last question about getting rid of the annoying email popups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

@Pafflo21,

Can you please let me know which mail ID are you using?

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

My email is [Personal Information Removed]

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@Pafflo21,

Thanks for the reply.

I request you to contact your service provider for better assistance.

Have a great day!

Cheers;)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.