Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M28a
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi,

I have a recently purchased LaserJet Pro MFP M28a and it is not being detected on Mac computers, but working on an old Windows7 machine.

Here are observations:

1.  It is not detected on my Mac desktop and laptop, both running macOS 10.14 Mojave.

2.  Printing is OK 

3.  Scanning using Windows7 is OK.

4.  Scanning on Macbook Air - scanner undetected but printing OK

5.  Scanning on Macbook desktop - scanner undetected but printing OK

6.  All troubleshooting steps have been repeatedly done - removal of and reinstallation of drivers.  Nothing worked.

7.  Strangely, on my older Mac desktop (mini) , it did work on two occasions right after first install but it no longer works now.

8.  On my Mac Air, it never worked 

9.  Windows7 scanning is still working OK.

10.  This machine has up to date firmware and drivers (comparing it to the HP website).

If anyone can offer solutions on how to make it work on Mac, would appreciate it a lot.  Attached is a screenshot of the error message.  Thanks!

HP LaserJEt Pro MFP M28a Scanner Not Detected.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello all,

For any user of the M28 printer experiences a such, be sure to install the latest firmware to resolve scanning issues with a USB connection to a Mac:

Fixed an issue that Scan driver cannot be installed and Scanner cannot be detected on MAC OS with USB connection.

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-serie...

If the scan option still doesn't show after completing the update, please try below steps in exact order and check for any difference:

1. Unplug the USB from the printer and restart the printer.
  2. Restart your Mac
  3. Open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners
  4. Right-click the printers list (or CTRL + Left Click) and select Reset Printing System.
  5. Plug the USB and check the added print queue.

If it still doesn't list the scan option, click the plus sign under System Preferences make sure you select the USB Multifunction instance (type) of your printer.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
HP Recommended

@IvatanGuide,

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community.

I did a double check on the printer.

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28a Printer is not compatible with MacOS 10.14 Mojave.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06133734 for  HP Printers - macOS 10.14 Mojave Compatible Printers

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I saw that HP page before but it does say " If you do not see your printer model in this list, go to HP LaserJet, HP PageWide - Printers Compatible with macOS Mojave 10.14 to review options.

..and in this HP document link above, it does show it to be compatible. 

So which is the most up-to-date documentation?    

HP Recommended

@IvatanGuide,

As you document says the printer supports macOS Mojave 10.14.

Let's try the below steps And check if this helps you out.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/16647082/model/16647...

Restart the printer.

1.) Use the steps available here to update the software on Mac.

2.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

7.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Please also follow HP Easy Start below to ensure your print drivers are up to date:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Ensure you select both the HP Essential Software and HP Easy Scan while installing, if you experience any download issues repeat the same by only selecting the HP Essential Software and check for any difference.

Regards,
Shlomi

HP Recommended

@Raj1788 wrote:

@IvatanGuide,

As you document says the printer supports macOS Mojave 10.14.

Let's try the below steps And check if this helps you out.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/16647082/model/16647...

Restart the printer.

1.) Use the steps available here to update the software on Mac.

2.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

7.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

This did not work.  I now have the latest firmware.

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Please also follow HP Easy Start below to ensure your print drivers are up to date:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Ensure you select both the HP Essential Software and HP Easy Scan while installing, if you experience any download issues repeat the same by only selecting the HP Essential Software and check for any difference.

Regards,
Shlomi

This did not work either.  I have done this 3x already and the drivers are up to date.

HP Recommended

None of the HP solutions work and the Apple community isn't helpful either.

But, there is a software from a third party that I found to be working - Vuescan. A $49.95 commercial product.  It's unfortunate that we have to purchase additional software to make this scanner work with Mac. 

Apparently these folks at Hamrick.com can find a solution to this problem that HP themselves cannot. 

If ever you guys from HP update your drivers or firmware, please announce it.

HP Recommended

Hi @IvatanGuide,

I do have some update about this one, just sent you a private message on this matter.

You may click the top envelope icon to access private messaging.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

This is now resolved by updating the firmware to version FW2019-01-24.  Thanks to @ShlomiL who gave me the link to the new firmware with instructions on how to use it. I'm now able to scan on macOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.