Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P2055x
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Dear HP support,

we have several HP LaserJets P2055x with 3rd tray in a customer office. 

Each printer has paper formats A6, A5, A4 configured (and inside).

From time to time (randomly, but usually about weeks) one or both printers change their tray <-> paper format configuration (done over web gui and to see there too). I.e. a former configurazion of (from 1 down to 3) "A6, A5, A4" switches to "A4,A5, A6" or "A5, A4, A6".

Both affected printers has different tray configurations:

1. A6, A5, A4

2. A6, A4, A5

they are on the same network and configured both on the Mac OS X machines.

My first idea was that the 3rd (extension) tray has some contact which got "lost shortly" by movement through the cleaning stuff - leading to this "auto reconfiguration" of the printer.

What can we do to "fix" / "hard wire" the trays to a paper format?

many thanks,

Niels Dettenbach.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to assist you.

I believe that firmware will fix both the issues as the trays format shouldnt change randomly. So once we upgrade firmware it should fix both printer issues.

Please upgrade and let us know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I believe that the accessory input tray (tray 3 - 500 sheet feeder) is having automatic paper size detect function.  If the paper size adjustors inside the tray are not set accurately to its position, then it may cause device or the tray assembly to detect different paper size. 

Hardware defect is also possible which may require physical inspection of the size sensing levers (inside the cassette tray) and the PCB which has micro switches.

But at the same time it is less likely that the paper size for other trays could get changed, becuase paper size needs to be manually set for Tray 1 and 2, as there is no auto sense mechanism inside, hence size once set for these trays has no reason to change automatically.

You may also have to look for other possibilities, like someone manually changing the options from device control panel or remotely through EWS page (web console).

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the hint. I've looked for a firmware update for Mac (because we just have Mac and Linux) and so it seems i overlooked that it is available for windows. Will try this soon. Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your answer. This is very good to know and may help us finding a solution. We will advise our staff and check if this is the soource.

Is there any way to "fix" the assignement of the paper formats - so that it did not change until any further direct configuration change?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to assist you.

I believe that firmware will fix both the issues as the trays format shouldnt change randomly. So once we upgrade firmware it should fix both printer issues.

Please upgrade and let us know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.