Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have an HP7310xi AIO which has been working fine until recently.  I have recently upgraded from Win/XP to Win 7 32-bit and the printer software will not install correctly.  I have downloaded and tried all the diagnostic tools I can find on this site, to no avail.  I can print but cannot scan due to the absence of the Solution Center software.  I would like this to be a network-attached device, and that part works fine with the printer, but I say again it won't scan--either network or USB attachment.

I have downloaded (several times) the software file AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141, which is supposed to install the needed software, but it DOES NOT INSTALL the Solution Center.  I have tried HPPIW for installing, and also HPHNDU and HPPDU for the printer diagnostics, and those work okay.  I have also tried HPPSdr (which works for the printer, but not scan) and HPSDU, which does not work at all.

I still have my original installation CD, and I tried that, but of course it won't work with Win 7.  I have also tried uninstalling the whole software package and then trying to re-install, also to no avail.  It appears that the uninstall process is incomplete, or at least that is my guess.  I have tried also running the uninstall batch files from the original installation CD (the files at \util\CCC\Uninstall, Uninstall_L1, etc.) and they seem to work, but still the subsequent re-install does not install Solution Center.

I recently ordered from Customer Care a new installation CD, expecting a full installation CD for Windows 7, and have received that.  The label on the CD says it is for "HP Officejet 6300, 7200, 7300 All-in One-series," and also that it is "Version 13.1.0" and for "Windows 7" and "Multiple Languages."  It is part number CB744-10003, and appears to be just what I needed.  HOWEVER... nothing of the kind is ACTUALLY ON THE CD!!!! 

The label helpfully gives the following instructions:

Insert the CD into your CDROM Drive

All supported Windows operating systems:

a) Click "Start" on the task bar, then click "Run"

b} Type d:\Setup and click OK (where "d" is your CD drive letter"

All this is exactly what I would expect to see on an installation CD; BUT THERE IS NO "SETUP" FILE ON THE CD!!!

The contents of the CD are exactly TWO FILES:

AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe, and

AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141.md5

The first file is the same one I have downloaded several times from your web site, and tried many, many times to install.

THIS CD DOES NOT CONTAIN WHAT ITS LABEL INDICATES IT SHOULD CONTAIN.

**bleep**The best suggestion they could offer was that I should "upgrade" my printer!!  I know the printer is old, and I know the printer itself is not supported.  However, I expect better than this from a software package which purports to support this AIO device on Windows 7.   

If I cannot get this resolved successfully, I will upgrade my AIO--but it WILL NOT BE ANOTHER HP DEVICE!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hmm...  I have a similar Officejet 7410 that I used the same setup file to install and have used it for a few years on my Windows 7 system.  A few questions:  

Do you have the printer connected with USB or by network?  

You said you had upgraded from Windows XP.  Was this a fresh install on the XP machine?

Are there any error messages during the installation?

There are a few things to try: If the printer is connected with USB disconnect it before proceeding.  Navigate to the %temp% folder (open explorer and type %temp% in the address bar), look for a directory starting with 7z and a date that would correspond to when you tried to install the printer.  Navigate to the util/ccc directory in the 7z.... directory and run the uninstall_L1, uninstall_L2 and uninstall_L3 files.  (This is the uninstaller for the Windows 7 version, it might be more effective than the XP uninstaller).  After running each of the three batch files reboot the computer and log in as a user with administrator privileges.  At this point run the installer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hmm...  I have a similar Officejet 7410 that I used the same setup file to install and have used it for a few years on my Windows 7 system.  A few questions:  

Do you have the printer connected with USB or by network?  

You said you had upgraded from Windows XP.  Was this a fresh install on the XP machine?

Are there any error messages during the installation?

There are a few things to try: If the printer is connected with USB disconnect it before proceeding.  Navigate to the %temp% folder (open explorer and type %temp% in the address bar), look for a directory starting with 7z and a date that would correspond to when you tried to install the printer.  Navigate to the util/ccc directory in the 7z.... directory and run the uninstall_L1, uninstall_L2 and uninstall_L3 files.  (This is the uninstaller for the Windows 7 version, it might be more effective than the XP uninstaller).  After running each of the three batch files reboot the computer and log in as a user with administrator privileges.  At this point run the installer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, thanks so much for your reply!  I can't seem to get anything out of HP "Customer Support" so it is awfully nice to hear from someone.

I have the printer attached currently by USB, although it will also work with network attachment.  The real problem is that I can't get Solution Center to install, and thus cannot scan.

First off, however, you might notice my real beef with HP is that they sent me the wromg CD, no installation files, and after an hour or so on the phone (twice) I got nowhere, because my AIO is not supported.  Of course it's not supported!  I just wanted the installation CD that I paid for, but got nowhere trying to get them to accept that.  I suspect it's a language problem--I find it very hard to communicate with them when I can't understand what they're saying.....

I tried your suggestion, which sounds like just what I need.  That was, essentially, why I ordered the install CD for Win 7.  Unfortunately, in my temp directory, while I find at least 9 of those "7z*" directories, only two of them have a \util\CCC\ subdirectory, and neither of those contain any batch files, just a slew of multi-language sub-directories.

Do you happen to have the adtual Win 7 install CD?  Could you possibly send me something via email, such as those "Install*" files?  Or maybe even an iso copy of the CD?  This is what I was hoping to get from HP, but they just can't understand that.  My email is {Personal Information Removed}

Again, thanks so much for your reply.

BTW, I simplified my post a bit, trying not to overwhelm someone with facts.  I have had this AIO running under Win 7 already.  The trouble is, I started getting a ton of BSODs, a couple of dozen different ones, simetimes 4 or 5 a day.  So I started lookng at the (mostly driver) files it indicated were corrupted, and ended up uninstalling a bunch of things trying to isolate the problem, including uninstalling the AIO.  It ultimately turnded out to be a memory problem, but It took a while to figure that out.  Now I'm trying to recover the AIO install, among other things, after replacing the memory, and that's why I'm at this point.

HP Recommended

OK, it sounds like you had some system issues that may still have some lingering effects.   Before doing anything else I would do a couple things:

Open an administrative command prompt - click Start and in the search box type cmd.  When the result comes up right click on the cmd.exe file and select "Run as administrator".  In the DOS box type the following commands:

CHKDSK C:

If there were any errors you will need to do this again with the /F paramater:

CHKDSK C:  /F

This will require a reboot, the chkdsk will be run at startup.  Once the disk check has completed without errors open the administrative command prompt again and type the following (SFC is System File Check, it checks the integrity of the Windows system files and can make repairs):

SFC /SCANNOW

This will take some time to complete. The correct ending is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." If there were any unresolved errors I would suggest reinstalling Windows. If you use the "update" option it will preserve your programs and settings but correct installation issues. (I would probably do this in any case just to make sure things are OK given the issues you have seen.)

Once the system is OK you should be able to install the driver from the files from the CD you have.  I suspect they sent the CD this way rather than with the files unpacked because it will not fit on a CD - I checked my 7Z... directory and the files expand to about 1.2 Gb, about two full CD's.  If you really want an installation disk with the setup file I could burn a DVD and send it, but the result would just be the same thing you would get with the downloaded file or by running the AIO_CDB.... file on the CD they sent.

Please do the above and let me know the results.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Okay, Bob, I followed your instructions and have managed to accomplish an installation, so again thanks very much.  A couple of things come out of this experience:

First, that AIO_CDB...  program works--but only if you first are able to obrain a clean uninstall--and the program will not do that for you.  On the other hand, the act of running that install program in fact provides you with the batch files to accomplish a clean uninstall, if you know where to look for them.  Once you pointed me to my temp space, I was able to find the uninstall batch files. NO ONE TOLD ME THAT BEFORE!  So I have been spinning my wheels for many days trying to get the necessary information.

This is really an unacceptable scenario, when you think about it.  You try to uninstall the AIO, and it seems to work, but when you try to re-install (with the AIO_CDB... program) that fails because the uninstall did not complete.  But in running the install program, you inadvertently create the batch files necessary for a really  clean uninstall, so then you can uninstall all the junk before attempting the re-install again.  To me, that's quite a ridiculous scenario!  And on top of that there seems to be NOWHERE that those uninstall batch files are documented, nowhere that they are even mentioned!

So, the CD I bought for $10 did not in fact give me an install CD at all, but unbenownst to me, it supplied the program to CREATE all the install CD contents.  Only problem is, if I had known that to begin with, I would never have paid for a duplicate of what I already had downloaded.  It's just too bad that communication with the HP "Support Center" is so astoundingly ineffectual.

One more point: after instlaling, I ran the test program HPPSdr (HP Print and Scan Doctor), and it failed the test for the Solution Center.  It says I need an update, which is available for download, so I downloaded and ran that update (CPE_SCAN_DESTINATION_UPDATE_hpcom_001_003).  It fails, and tells me to contact HP again.  Well, I am not about to try talking to them again!  If you have any information on what this is about, I'd love to hear from you.

Bottom line, I have the AIO working, including scanning, and also network-attached.  I have scanned numerous documents, and all seems to be well now.  BTW, it seems that when the installation succeeds, the contents of that "7zS43DC" directory (where I got the uninstall batch files...) is erased!  I thought I would save that information (in case I get into this crack again), but the contents are gone!

HP Recommended
I can't help you, but it's sad to same I feel the same way regarding the non-help by HPSC. I'm glad I didn't spend $89.99 to receive a cd that would upgrade my computer to professional status. I will do my best not to have to buy another HP printer due to the way they treat out-of-warranty customers. I'm regretting having recently purchased two new desktop HP pcs. (My problem is that I can copy, scan and print, but not fax!)

I'll be watching to see how your problem is resolved.
HP Recommended

I am glad things are working.  You might mark the thread as "accept as solution", this will mark it solved and help others that may be having a similar issue find the solution.

It seems the installation CD did its job in the end, but the problem seems to be the instructions.  If they had just named the AIO_CDB.... file setup.exe instead there may have been less angst, although the uninstall being buried does not help either.  If you want to save the 7Z... directory just start the installation again, then close it before allowing it to do anything (stop at the first prompt for "I agree".  This will leave the directory and files in place.  They are deleted because they are rather large and generally not needed after the installation is complete.

The scan update is not needed in your case since scanning works, the update fixes a problem in some systems where the scan results are sent to a non-existant folder.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@Nannyan4 wrote:
I can't help you, but it's sad to same I feel the same way regarding the non-help by HPSC. I'm glad I didn't spend $89.99 to receive a cd that would upgrade my computer to professional status. I will do my best not to have to buy another HP printer due to the way they treat out-of-warranty customers. I'm regretting having recently purchased two new desktop HP pcs. (My problem is that I can copy, scan and print, but not fax!)

I'll be watching to see how your problem is resolved.

The problem is that neither of the 3-in-one printers you have support fax, they both are print, scan and copy devices.  I answered in your other thread, but this is not an HP support issue....

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks for looking at my issue, but both of my printers are four in ones, they print, copy, scan and fax.  I spoke with someone at HP and they said that the issue could be fixed, but it would cost $24.99 for them to help me being that my printers are out of warranty.  They are old and before now worked really well.

HP Recommended

@Nannyan4 wrote:

Thanks for looking at my issue, but both of my printers are four in ones, they print, copy, scan and fax.  I spoke with someone at HP and they said that the issue could be fixed, but it would cost $24.99 for them to help me being that my printers are out of warranty.  They are old and before now worked really well.

Sorry, but if your printer models are the PSC 1110 and the Deskjet F2240 they are *not* faxes.  They can be used with a fax program and a fax modem (either installed in your computer or external) but they do not have any fax capability on their own.  It appears your old computer had a fax program and a built-in fax modem, your new computer(s) do not.  I cannot help you any further.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.