Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet 150a
Linux

Hello experts, I just bought a nice HP Color LaserJet 150a. It works great on our Windows computer, no problem whatsoever.

But I got confused when trying to setup my Linux (ubuntu bionic 18.04) laptop - 150a is not listed in the available drivers.

I checked on HPLIP website, and indeed there's no mention about 150a driver on its release logs : https://sourceforge.net/p/hplip/news/

So I'm guessing  I'll need to choose another printer's driver, preferable the most similar one to 150a

But I have absolutely no clue, and there are so many drivers.

Can anyone point me to the rigth direction ?

Thank you in advance.

cheers, HS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

....and found it  😅  choose this driver : "Samsung CLP 620 Foomatic / foo2qpdl (recommended)" - voila, now I can print from my Linux laptop to my HP Color LasertJet 150a printer ! yay ! 😍

Hope this helps !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can pick any color laserjet and have a good chance the basic functionality to print will be there.  Feel free to experiment, there is no harm in trying a few out.  Look for similar models that are on the market or from the same family of products.

My goto legacy printer driver is the HP laserjet 4000, but that is a monochrome printer and you might want to have color for yours.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I just found out the this HP 150a talks SPL - not PCL :
https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/hp-color-laser-150a/146296

SPL - Samsung Printer Language 😅 😅 😅 probably because HP's acquisition of Samsung's printer department a while back.

Doh.

So yeah, am scratching my head now. 

I've tried many Samsung drivers, but still no joy.

Please advise

Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

....and found it  😅  choose this driver : "Samsung CLP 620 Foomatic / foo2qpdl (recommended)" - voila, now I can print from my Linux laptop to my HP Color LasertJet 150a printer ! yay ! 😍

Hope this helps !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.