Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I owned HP laserjet 1020. I was wondering does the separation pad move up and down when i print only 1 page.

currently, my printer is making "cluck cluck cluck" sound as the printer was printing only 1 page.

I had lots of problem with multiple feeding problem and caused paper jammed. When i called up my local hp printer shop, they told me this is a very OLD printer and they afraid there might not have spare parts, so i am trying to fix it myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi youle,

What I need you to do is remove the toner cartridge from the printer, and then open and close the printer lid where you install the cartridge to make the printer initialize. If you do not hear the clucking sound then the issue is with the toner cartridge causing the noise. If you still hear the clucking sound with the toner cartridge removed this means you have a part in the printer causing the noise. If you determine that the toner cartridge is the cause of the noise you will need to replace the cartridge with a new one. Let me know what you find out?
I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi youle,

The separation pad is stationary in the printer, and doesn't move when printing. If you are having issues with multiple paper feeds you need to clean the separation pad with a lint free cloth lightly damp with water. If you are getting clucking noises while you are printing you most likely have an issue with the toner cartridge installed in the printer. Remove the toner cartridge, and then open and close the lid a couple times to see if you hear the same noises. If you still hear the noises with the toner cartridge removed then you most likely have a broken part inside the printer causing the noise. I have included some document below which will assist you with the issues you are having. Let me know what you find out?

More Than One Page at a Time Feeds Through the Printer

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but i already tried these methods and it still do multiple feeding and the clucking sound.

When you mentioned about "open and close the lid a couple times", which part are you refering to?

I took the cartridge out and open and close the curve cover a few times without exposing to light... is this the part that you are refering to?

When i ON the printer and when i remove the cartridge from the Printer, the startup sound do not have the clucking sound. The clucking sound only occur during the process of printing. 

Do you have another tips to stop the multiple feeding and paper jamming?

HP Recommended
Hi youle,

What I need you to do is remove the toner cartridge from the printer, and then open and close the printer lid where you install the cartridge to make the printer initialize. If you do not hear the clucking sound then the issue is with the toner cartridge causing the noise. If you still hear the clucking sound with the toner cartridge removed this means you have a part in the printer causing the noise. If you determine that the toner cartridge is the cause of the noise you will need to replace the cartridge with a new one. Let me know what you find out?
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Hi Kindly double check the SILINOID COIL just found inside the unit., I think that coil has in MISALIGNED CONDITION or the SPRING of that part is loose. sometimes it is the cause of CLUCK, CLUCK sound that you heard to your unit... Thanks..
HP Recommended
Hi Kindly double check the SOLENOID COIL just found inside the unit., I think that coil has in MISALIGNED CONDITION or the SPRING of that part is loose. sometimes it is the cause of CLUCK, CLUCK sound that you heard to your unit... Thanks..
HP Recommended

May i know where is SILINOID COIL and how does it look like?

HP Recommended

Hi Youle ive just repaired one printer like yours one  the same problem and the same model  you have to check the solenoid and look for the part that have a spring and isolate with tape where the moving part hits the body of the solenoid ok?

HP Recommended

almost.  problem can also be weak solenoid spring, to wit:  the clucking or clunking noise is the sound of the pick rollelr trying to pick a sheet of paper.  the problem is that it clunks too many times because the spring on the feed solenoid has become weak, and the pick roller keeps feeding paper even though the printer doesn't need it.  The jam happens because the printer frequently doesn't know what to do with the extra paper, since it didn't ask for it.  you need the service manual, or the you tube video that shows how to take off the right side panel (only one screw and a bit of tugging in the right place, hence the video is helpful).  the solenoid is in the bottom rear on the right side, has a 2 wire cable going to it from the controller PC board, and is easily removed with one black screw.  carefully shorten the spring one or two turns of the coil(in my case the adjustment bar that anchored the spring was already in the max tension position so I couldn't just bend the bar, maybe you can on yours) and reattach it.  You can watch the mechanism before and after, if you like, it is educational.  before you fix it, with the side cover off, press and release the online button (no computer needed, and this is a good way to insure the printer only asks for one sheet) and you can see the solenoid pick, and then you can see the white gear go around more than once.  It should not.  One revolution of the pickup shaft should be enough, with an adequately sticky and clean pickup roller (see elsewhere for how to clean this or replace it, it's easy to clean and cheap to replace).  If the printer needs to push the paper farther to get printing started, it will activate the shaft again.  the point is that the solenoid is only energized for a quarter of a second but the weak spring doeesn't return the solenoid lever to the stop position with enough force to catch the white cam surface the next time around.  Anyway, tighten the spring, and now you should see the pickup shaft turn exactly once per button press.  Note the distinction betwen feed issues,where a slick roller gives no pickup and a slick separator pad gives you double sheet pickup, this is a sequential extra pickup of single sheets.  little victories.  

HP Recommended

i got the same problem as youle and thx for SoundinSteve and tgafford's info now my problem fixed

i found that my solenoid spring is ok (tension is high enough) but it is related to the tape between the moving metal part which hits the body of the solenoid. the tape eventually dissolves and causes the moving metal part "sticks" to the body of the solenoid and hence fails to return to its original position despite the high tension of the spring. i simply take both of the sping and the moving metal part out. i use a cloth (with alcohol) to clean and remove the residue of that dissolved tape both on the moving metal part and the body of solenoid. after that problem solved but with a metal sound when the moving part hits the solenoid each time. (i think the tape is designed for minimize the "hitting sound" between the 2 metal parts but it eventually dissolves and becomes sticky and causes multiple paper feed problem)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.