Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Laserjet Pro Color Printer model hp cp1525nw I am using with Windows 7 32-bit OS.

Right now I have an "49 ERROR" message on the led display.  The strange thing is that the display alternates between that "49 ERROR", "Initializing..." and "Ready".  I think this problem started when I changed something in the networking security settings when in the device settings screen via my computer's internet browser.

I have tried:

-uninstalling/reinstalling the hp programs on the computer

- unplugging the power and all cables from the printer and computer for long periods of time (hoping to clear the firmware settings of the device)

-using the HP Scan Print Doctor,  as well as the other configuration software

-Resetting the printer settings to the factory defaults via the method described on the hp website support documentation, but I am unable to navigate through the menus on the led screen (services-->reset) before the screen scrolls through "49 Error"... "Initializing...", ..."Ready", effectively cutting me off from being able to do the reset.

Since this started happening I have been unable to print or have the computer recognized via the wired or wireless network, when connected via usb, the computer is able to recognize the printer only for the few seconds the printer is in the "Ready" state before the led begins its scroll again.

I believe the problem lies within the change of settings in the firmware.

Is there any way I can do a "Cold Reset" of the printer?

Please advise.  Thanks for all your help in advance!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you follow these steps are you able to start your printer without experiencing a 49 error?

1.  Turn your printer off

2.  Disconnect the network cable from your printer.

3.  Turn the printer on.

If you are able to start your printer with the network cable disconnected, you may want to try restoring the factory defaults before you plug the network cable back in.

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Additionally please make sure to install the latest firmware for the printer:

Fix/Enhancement:
1. Fixed several issues including a 49 error and incorrectly handling the number of copies for some types of Postscript files.

You may find the firmware update within the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=lj-86473-9&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Jim!

Unfortunately, that still doesn't work.  Even when I turn the printer off, disconnect all cable and wires (including power), wait a few minutes, plug the power back in and turn it on- I still get the 49 Error message.

Thanks though, any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Thanks ShlomiL!

I have tried updating the firmware already though.  Although it's hard to tell if it "takes". Because the printer is recognized, then not, then recognized again, as alternates the "Ready", "Initializing...", "49 Error" on the lcd display, I'm not sure that the connection between the computer and the printer is maintained as it loads the new firmware... Although at the end of the long process it does show a smiley face so maybe it does install the FW successfully.

Alternatively, when I try reinstall printer using the software (latest version), via wired or wireless network, I get a Fatal Error, and it does not complete the installation.  When I try to install it via usb, it does complete the install... but the printer (under "printers and devices" in windows, alternates between offline and online states as the lcd display on the printer scrolls through the alternating messages above.

I appreciate any and all help, this is an expensive printer while it's been owned a while, it has been used only a few times!

HP Recommended

I see there have been many views, I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and whether they have had any successes in terms of trying to resolve it... Thanks!

HP Recommended

I'm having this same problem.  Pretty much exactly as described.  I was changing a wireless network setting, and now the printer alternates between Hewlett-Packard >>>>>,  49 Error Turn Off then On , and Ready.

I've turned it off multiple times, uplugged the network cable.

Now as i'm typing this it stopped!  Maybe it just needed some time cycling between them to figure it self out?

Unrelated, but the reason I was in the network setting is because of e-print.  This printer won't stay connected, and e-print is unreliable.  Just recenlly it wasn't even connected locally via a wired connection.  (Couldn't see it on my iPhone.)  I restarted the printer and everything started working again.

Patrick

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem.  Changed wireless settings and now the dreaded 49 error.  Only consolation for me is that it works in wired-only (ethernet) mode.  But as soon as I try to turn on the wifi it throws the error again.  Firmware update did not help at all.

HP Recommended

I also get the 49 error alternating with Ready. I tried updating the firmware and like a similar poster saw the smiley face, but am not certain it really went through.  I also believe a recent network setting triggered this error. I have wifi off on the printer (at least I think it is off, the light is off at least).  Plugging it in directly has not solved the problem. I am completely unable to print.

HP Recommended

4/19/14   I had this identical problem with my Laserjet CP1525nw color, called HP Suppport and the guy told me to go into the printer queue, delete print-jobs that had jammed up and try again.  This worked for me and my printer is back working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.