Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook:15t-5000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,
A few weeks ago I noticed that on my HP OMEN Notebook:
15t-5000 CTO, Product number: J2W12AV,
The following key shortcuts stopped working:
(fn+f Turns the computer fans on maximum speed).
fn+r (Turns the touchpad off and on).
fn+t (Turns the touch screen features off and on).
fn+esc  (Displays system information).
(I still can control the first 3 from omen control S/W)
Yesterday after a windows update I noticed also that the:
fn+f12 (Turns the wireless feature on or off) stopped working as well.
Most of the other shortcuts are still working properly.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Good afternoon @Rossen, 

I would be more than happy to welcome you to the HP Support Forms and do my best to help! I gather that you are unable to use the Function shortcut keys on your HP OMEN Notebook - 15t-5000 CTO. If I am successful in helping you resolve the function key issue, please consider marking this (or any other) post that resolves your issue as an Accepted Solution. This will help other community members find answers. 

Did you look to see if the fn in the BIOS is disabled (although possible, not all Notebooks have this function)?

Did you happen to do any Windows Updates before this happened?

Have you done any of your HP Support Assistant updates?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Did you try to do a System Restore back to when the function keys were working for you?

To use System Restore in Windows 10:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose "Choose a different Restore point"
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event" will pop up
  • Choose the event
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed. 

Here is a document called Using Keyboard Shortcuts and Special Keys for you to read over. 

In the past, I have seen uninstalling the Keyboard in the Device manager resolve the issue also. Please try the follow troubleshooting steps to see if this resolves the situation:  

• Start
  • Search for Device Manager
  • Open Device Manager from the Search results.
  • Click View
  • Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards.
  • Right-click the keyboard device name.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook twice. 

To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the Thumbs Up below.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and answers to any questions above. 

Thanks!

Have a wonderful day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Sorry, but it didn't fix the issue:

Did you look to see if the fn in the BIOS is disabled (although possible, not all Notebooks have this function)?-yes, I did.

Did you happen to do any Windows Updates before this happened?-Possibly, as the PC has auto update enabled.

Have you done any of your HP Support Assistant updates?-yes-all possible.

Have you done a BIOS reset?-Yes, I did, I also reinstalled BIOS with last image.

Did you try to do a System Restore back to when the function keys were working for you?-No. I may do this as last thing.

In the past, I have seen uninstalling the Keyboard in the Device manager resolve the issue also. Done-didn't fix the issue.

Thank you for the help!

Have a nice day! 

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly @Rossen and trying all of the steps I had provided. I appreciate you answering the questions from my post. Your answer's had allowed me to narrow down a direction. There is a document called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8). In this document there is a section called Function keys do not work and I have provided you with the suggestion from that section below. 

If pressing any of the function key does nothing, the function keys are not working. Use the following steps to replace the driver for those keys:

For you convenience, I have provided the driver download link for you below. This package contains the HP System Event Utility, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, HP System Event Utility enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This software is provided for supported models running a supported operating system.

File name: sp73248.exe

Updated: Jun 20, 2016

Please try this step and let me know how it goes. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Actually all keys work perfect as hardware (any single key works. The things that don't work are only 4 key cimbinations:

Fn+(R, T, F and Esc) I tried reinstalling the System Event Utility, but it allaws tels me that it is already installed, and asks me if I want to overwrite the files-I answer YES. There is ne difference.

I also tried to uninstall it first, but when reinstall it again, it still asks me to replace the existing files.

Thanks! 

Rossen

HP Recommended

Hey @Rossen, 

Thank you for the information. I wonder if the issue is actually stemming from the Control Software. Try Using the HP OMEN Control software to customize the gaming keyboard on HP Omen 15 Notebook PCs documentation to use the Advanced keyboard settings to make sure that the touchscreen, touchpad, and fan speed function key controls are not disabled. 

Are the settings still there?

Are they disabled?

Have you tried to restore the software?

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the settings?

Please take a thorough look into those settings and let me know if any of them have helped. 

Thanks!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes,

The dvanced keyboard settings  for touchscreen, touchpad, and fan speed work in OMEN control s/w.

And Yes, I reinstalled it as well.

The function key controls are not disabled. 

Are the settings still there?-yes

Are they disabled?-no

Have you tried to restore the software?-yes

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the settings?-I will do it tonight when I go home.

Thanks

HP Recommended

OMEN Controll.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you for the screenshot! That was very helpful. Would you be able to send me one of the Key Assignments also? 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Untitled.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.