Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Acer Aspire
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not sure I'm in the right place. 

My 4650 has stopped printing in color from my laptop even though I've selected color in the print software.  However, it prints color from a scan or copy.  I have 50% color ink left in the cartridge.  I changed to a new color cartridge with the same results.

What am I missing? 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @marcycn ,

You are perfectly right here! 😊

I think this is a software problem. Please use the HP print and Scan doctor to find the problem. This little tool detects issues and resolves them automatically. 

HP Print and Scan Doctor | HP Customer Support 

After downloading the tool, install it and run it. Please tell me about the result.  

If you have any questions, just ask. 🙂

Cheers!

Nils_K

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

That did it!  Working fine again.  Thanks!! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

It is so great that your problem is resolved! 😊

And thank you for your feedback. 🙂

If you have any questions in the future, you know where to find us! 

Cheers!

Nils

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

Nils_K  Hi.... you solved my problem the last time however, since then I've had to completely reinstall Win 10 Pro and I can't print in color again.  I installed the app and it said it found and fixed problems but it still prints in black and white.  Any other tricks up your sleeve? 🙂

Update:  Well, solved again but I had to reinstall the printer from scratch and it didn't go smoothly.  I got it done though. 🙂

HP Recommended

I gave you an update below. or maybe above this.  🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @marcycn ,

Sorry for my late reply!

@marcycn wrote:

Update:  Well, solved again but I had to reinstall the printer from scratch and it didn't go smoothly.  I got it done though. 

...so everything is working fine now or are there still problems? 

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

It's fine again.  I'm wondering what it is in Windows 10 that makes it lose the ability to print in color.  The first time I'd been printing just fine for years.  The second time was a nightmare and took me days to get right.  It kept saying it couldn't see the router and I got real pissed. lol.  Took a calm me today to actually get it working again.  I wonder if I will run into the problem again when I upgrade to version 2004.  Not looking forward to that. 🙂  Thanks again....

HP Recommended

Hi,

@marcycn wrote:

It's fine again.  I'm wondering what it is in Windows 10 that makes it lose the ability to print in color.  

In that 4,5 years I am doing this, every time when Microsoft published a big update, some customers had this kind of trouble. I really don't have a clue what's causing it. 🙂

@marcycn wrote:

I wonder if I will run into the problem again when I upgrade to version 2004.  Not looking forward to that. 🙂  

This could be, but there is a trick😉:

Before upgrading to the latest version of Windows 10, uninstall all the HP printer stuff, including software and drivers. After the upgrade is finished, you just need to reinstall it. 

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

That is what I just went through the past few days.  I'm hoping you are wrong. 😞  This printer has survived through all the updates until the last one and it was only a small one.  I haven't done 2004 on this machine yet.  Everything was fine and it just out of the blue stopped printing color.  Then I had to reinstall windows and that was when my troubles started again.  Grrrr.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.