Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP8740
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer was purchased in 2017; it hasn't worked correctly since the summer of 2019.  I suspect it has something to do with subscribing to Instant Ink but no way to prove that.  It "operates" fine as a printer when the yellow blinking light isn't on, but the yellow blinking light comes on a few minutes after it is turned on.  I unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug back in and restart, and for a few minutes (less than 10 minutes) the printer works.  Then the blinking yellow lights come on with no error message.  During that summer, I likely went on vacation and turned the printer off completely.  

Once I couldn't fix it, I took it to a printer repair place in San Diego that only fixes printers and they had it for a week and couldn't figure out the blinking yellow lights.

I've always been an HP customer (over 25 years); I generally have my HP printers until they wear out.  So, this situation is unusual and frustrating.  No numeric error message?  

The printer is currently in my trunk; I'm trying to decide do I just dump it at the recycling bin or haul it one more time to my office to try one more solution.   I feel as others do on this forum that it is suspiciously linked to my enrollment in "Instant Ink".  I have a mechanically functioning printer that somehow gets a signal from somewhere after a few minutes of being turned on to flash the yellow lights and act disabled.  That to me "smells fishy" like HP is disabling the printer because it doesn't like something with the Instant Ink use....

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@pdbrsf, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. However, HP cannot control your printer even if the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink. HP Instant Ink servers can only read the ink levels and printer status.

Where do you see this yellow blinking light? On which icon?

Are you able to print when you see this yellow light?

Kindly send a picture of the same in your next post for better assistance.

If the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink service, the printer has to be connected to the Internet. If the printer is not connected to the Internet, you will not be able to print using the Instant ink cartridges.

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

Try printing/copying.

For more info on resolving errors and lights on the printer can be found here.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.