Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 6220
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a bug report, showing how the erratic behavior can reliably be reproduced:

Product: ENVY Photo 6220
Firmware: PALMINPPXN003.1845A.00

HP ePrint prints emails it receives on a special email address which is bound to a specific printer. When the email is empty, HP ePrint correctly ignores the email. HP ePrint does not print attachments.

When sending an email with an empty body, BUT WITH AN JPEG ATTACHMENT (in this case, from a gmail.com address) however:

- Bug Nr1: the email is not ignored
- Bug Nr2: the printer is showing an empty paper tray message, ALTHOUGH THE PAPER TRAY IS NOT EMPTY AT ALL

The expected behavior woud be to ignore the email, and never suggest the paper tray is empty when it isn't empty at all. Note that this can be RELIABLY reproduced, it is neither a transient nor permanent hardware issue.

This should be fixed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

- Bug Nr2: the printer is showing an empty paper tray message, ALTHOUGH THE PAPER TRAY IS NOT EMPTY AT ALL

this is not a bug but expected behavior.

See 'Can I change print settings for an HP ePrint job?' below:

Paper size for image attachments: 101.6 x 152.4 mm (4 x 6 in)

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c03721293

When you send a mail with JPEG ATTACHMENT  using HP ePrint, it automatically defaults to the Photo Tray and expects 4 x 6 in photo paper, your printer does have a separate Photo tray, which I would assume it is indeed out of 4 x 6 in paper in the dedicated photo tray.

You may add a picture into the mail body and not as an attachment, then it will be printed on a Plain Paper from the standard tray.

This is not a bug too, an empty email with an attached file should not be ignored, see the 'What can I print using HP ePrint?' section in the same document.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@pprinter37

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's remove and add web services:

1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch (HP ePrint), and then touch (Web Services Settings).

2. Touch Remove Web Services.

3. Restart the router and the printer.

4. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch ( Setup ).

5. Touch Web Services.

6. Touch Yes to accept the Web Services terms of setup.

7. The printer will automatically check updates and set up Web Services.

8. Touch OK when you see Web Services have been set up successfully.

9. When the printer is connected to the server, the printer prints an information page, and shows Web Services Summary on the screen.

Once done, you can reconfigure ePrint once again: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03721293

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@betty0610 thanks for this, however you must have missunderstood. I don't have any problems with eptrint generally. It works fine when printing the actual email body. What is confusing and wrong is the behavior when there is no email body, but only an attachment and it is caused by a SOFTWARE BUG on this product, which I'd strongly suggest you forward your second level support. It is also extremly easily to reproduce with the instruction in the first post.

That said, I did follow your procedure exactly, removing web services completely and setting up everything from scratch. As expected, it did not change one bit, and the 6220 is still screaming about an empty paper tray when a "strange email" without body, but with attachment comes in via eprint.

Please do forward this to your second level support, so this software bug can be fixed, or advise whether there's a more appropriate place to report software bugs to HP.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@pprinter37

I recommend you contact the HP Support Team as they can help you with this.

Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

this is not a bug but expected behavior.

See 'Can I change print settings for an HP ePrint job?' below:

Paper size for image attachments: 101.6 x 152.4 mm (4 x 6 in)

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c03721293

When you send a mail with JPEG ATTACHMENT  using HP ePrint, it automatically defaults to the Photo Tray and expects 4 x 6 in photo paper, your printer does have a separate Photo tray, which I would assume it is indeed out of 4 x 6 in paper in the dedicated photo tray.

You may add a picture into the mail body and not as an attachment, then it will be printed on a Plain Paper from the standard tray.

This is not a bug too, an empty email with an attached file should not be ignored, see the 'What can I print using HP ePrint?' section in the same document.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.