Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hmm

HP Recommended

Hi @Ashton1,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I experienced the exact same issue and was able to solve it by doing the following.

1. Make sure you do not have a USB cable attached to yoru printer.

2. Go to the web configuration portal for the printer

3. Go to the Networking tab> Wi-Fi Direct Setup

4. Set WiFi Direct to "On"

5. Set Connection Method to "Advanced"

6. Check the box "Do not broadcast the Wi-Fi Direct name"

7. Click "Apply"

8. Restart the printer (Turn off > on)

9. Verify you no longer see the SSID

10. Go back to the Wi-Fi Direct Setup and set the WiFi Direct setting to "off"

Doing the above resulted in my printer no longer broadcasting the SSID.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@MaxPower wrote:

I experienced the exact same issue and was able to solve it by doing the following.

1. Make sure you do not have a USB cable attached to yoru printer.

2. Go to the web configuration portal for the printer

3. Go to the Networking tab> Wi-Fi Direct Setup

4. Set WiFi Direct to "On"

5. Set Connection Method to "Advanced"

6. Check the box "Do not broadcast the Wi-Fi Direct name"

7. Click "Apply"

8. Restart the printer (Turn off > on)

9. Verify you no longer see the SSID

10. Go back to the Wi-Fi Direct Setup and set the WiFi Direct setting to "off"

Doing the above resulted in my printer no longer broadcasting the SSID.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, worked 🙂

Whats wrong with all "HP Support Agent". They do not know anything but always begs for thumbs up and + for advice that do not work.

HP management need to rework there "support".

HP Recommended

Thanks MaxPower! Worked for me too!

And I have to agree with Pasi_Sweden, HP really need to get a grip with so-called experts who just haven't got a clue!

HP Recommended

Reading this because I have the same issue and just wow. What an HP failure.

Also, this fix provided only masks the problem. I've been backtracking this because i got a Unifi controller and was able to see other interfering broadcasting AP's..... So the fix does one thing, it hides the SSID of that network from broadcasting. However, it doesn't stop it. The printer is still broadcasting the signal it just stopped showing the SSID. 

HOW do you make it stop broadcasting!?!!?!? 

This is rediculous how is this that hard? 

I'd recommend everyone who thought this fixed see if they can find hidden networks because i'm betting you'll still see one. 

How has HP let this continue?

Fix it!

HP Recommended

Log into the printer via IP and go into Networking. Go into WiFi Printing. Turn it on. Change defualt SSID to something else. Then change the WiFi printing PW to something strong. Apply. Then turn WiFI printing OFF. Done Check to see if its still broadcasting. 

HP Recommended

Log into the printer via IP and go into Networking. Go into WiFi Direct Setup. Turn it on. Change defualt SSID to something else. Then change the WiFi Direct PW to something strong. Apply. Then turn WiFI Direct OFF. Done. Check to see if its still broadcasting. Its should not be. 

Shutting off the SSID broadcast just hides the SSID. It does not secure your network. Many free downloads can snoop for Wifi signals and find SSIDs even if hidden. 

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue. I would be most grateful for a solution - a way to turn off the broadcast SSID HP-Setup>ac-M277 Laserjet 

HP Recommended

I resolved this irritating issue using the method suggested a few posts earlier. I did not see this solution before posting as I didn't notice there were multiple pages of posts in response. I suggest whoever manages these fora should move a useful solution to the top of the posting so that we can simply see the solution immediately, as opposed to reading all the useless ones in order.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.