Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
[Private information removed]
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When printing documents, the printer is located but the job keeps coming with an error message "Can't open private/var/spool/cups/tmp/0098c5f9b7c82.  Either job vanishes or this error message appears.  I can use the test print facility.  I'm not aware of any software updates but I did pair an Apple Watch to an iPhone but I'd have thought that wouldn't have made any difference.  

Your support and assistance is appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It really looks like those who are experiencing this issue are running older software signed with a certificate that expired today.

Please update your software using HP Easy Start. 

1. Download HP Easy Start

2. Follow the prompts for setting up your printer.  When you get to the software download it will show whether the software needs updated or not.  If it does the box next to Printer Essentials will be checked by default and you just need to select the Install button.

I found this on another post with a different error, but I did this and it fixed the problem.  

HP Recommended

I re-installed HP Smart and it made no difference whatsoever. It shouldn't be the users to resolve this but HP or Apple

HP Recommended

The Easy Start install worked for me, Catalina 10.15.7, HP LJ M401dn, using both Bonjour and IP installs.

HP Recommended

I spent two days looking for a good answer... and THIS did the trick. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for posting this solution!!  Couldn't figure out why 3 different computers would simultaneously stop printing with the same ..../cups/ error.  HP should make this more widely known!

HP Recommended

Thanks for this.  Problem solved but now the error message shows after the original job has been printed and its easy enough to delete the second message. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.