Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4512
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 4512 All-in-one; product No. K9h49A   

RE: Direct Wifi connection from Windows 10 Home Ver.  1903 (OS build 18362.418)

1.  This Direct Wifi connection worked perfectly in the past.  Since Windows update ver. 1903 (maybe related, maybe no?), setup of Direct Wifi flawless EXCEPT for one thing.  HP Envy 4512 remains OFFLINE, "Not connected"

2.  Worked on this issue for two (2) days trying various online recommendations and running both Windows and HP troubleshooting.  Most of the time useless since printer is OFFLINE, "Not connected"

3.  Direct Wifi is running from printer.  Windows 10 computer sees the Direct Wifi network in "Available Networks"

4.  I have RESET printer, move printer USB connection to different port on host computer.  No help.  The other computer trying to connect to HP Envy 4512 Direct Wifi  NO JOY!

5.  This is frustrating because there are no helpful error messages for guidance and troubleshooting software useless.

I repeat....Direct Wifi on same printer and same accessing computer ALL THE SAME except for recent Windows update...though who can say if Windows update broke ability to connect to Direct Wifi printer??

I have not tried standing on my head and holding my nose...do you think that might help?   Thanks. 

Edit 10.12.2019:  I will leave Direct Wifi Printer (HP Envy 4512) set up on the other computer even though not connecting to printer.  Maybe one day soon, the OTHER computer will finally be able to "connect" to the HP Envy 4512 like it used to do just a little while ago before Windows Updates 1903_etc.   Who knows, but I have to walk away from this for time being.   

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@bcool1225 I know this could be frustrating, however, Here's all you need to know and do, to fix this issue:

Check if WiFi direct is turned off : click here

You may also refer to this document for further support regarding the solution for your concern.

Note: Please follow the steps under the heading "How do I change the WiFi Direct password, login settings, and printer name?"

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input.  Of course the "Wifi Direct" is running as stated in my original post...otherwise the "other" computer would not see "Wifi Direct" printer as AVAILABLE NETWORK.  I will read the document at the link you provided to see if there is any new steps I haven't already tried.  Thanks again.  -B

HP Recommended

The link you provided is the FIRST place I visited days ago...nothing on that page fixes the problem.  Nothing.  Zip, nada!

I wish that HP routine fix advice would solve this "communication" issue, but it does NOT.  Once again, as I stated before... the Wifi Direct sets up on "other" computer just as expected.  A-OK Numba one!   But once I go to print a page, I discover that there is no communication with the Wifi Direct printer "HP Envy 4512".  Therefore print job fails from the other computer.  If someone is to give good advice in this case, I fear you will have to escalate above "routine" script of typical solutions.  

Let me answer some questions so you don't have to ask them yourself.  The "other" computer is in next room very close to Wifi Direct printer.  Wifi Direct signal strength is good.  Wifi Direct network is visible in Windows 10 on the "other" computer.  Proper setup of Wifi Direct goes just as described by HP.  Windows 10 sets up Wifi Direct printer and DRIVERS A-OK.  Everything looks marvelous good until it is discovered that there is no communication with printer in order to print.  Printer status: disconnected!!!  Impossible to print.  The same computers and printer only a week or so ago worked perfectly well.  Only thing that happened between then and now is several Windows 10 updates including “1903".  I have no idea if they are to blame.  I have no other problems except for Wifi Direct printing.   Finally, the HP 4512 printer works flawlessly on host computer via physical USB connection.  Best regards. -B

HP Recommended

Let's restore the Printer's settings:

Setup menu > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults.

Once done, connect the Printer back to the network and check if your Laptop is able to connect.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input.  Restoring factory default was done ALREADY twice...DAYS AGO.  No joy.   Sorry, my friend, but as I suggested earlier, I fear that "routine" suggestions will not be helpful in this case.  I think something in "pairing" is broken.  The Direct Wifi (HP Envy 4512) printer sets up perfectly within Windows 10 (ADD PRINTER -  wifi direct) but after successful installation the "status" remains "NOT CONNECTED".   I do thank you for taking the time to make a contribution.  Please note carefully:  It is possible to disconnect from regular Internet wifi network and then connect to HP Envy 4512 wifi direct network shown in network available wifi connections.  1. click connect 2. enter security passcode.  Once connected, it is possible to launch printer internal web page @ 192.168.223.1 and examine various printer info INCLUDING the ability to PRINT report from inside printer internal web page.  Even when connected to HP Envy 4512 wifi direct network, it is not possible to print from anywhere else in Windows 10.  I mention this because I found it fascinating that in one way it is possible to communicate directly with printer in other room.  But while this is interesting, it does NOT help at all in terms of normal printing within Windows 10.   FYI -  I am going to check Qualcomm wifi driver version on accessing machine to make sure it is not outdated.  Just a wild guess.    -B

EDIT 10/16/2019:  Qualcomm Atheros Extensible wireless LAN AR956x ver. 3.02.201 25-MAR-2016 is working normally.  However I note that Windows 10 will not update this driver even though a newer version “appears” to be available.  Trying manual update through devmgmt.msc also Windows says best drivers are installed already.  I mention this in passing.  I have no idea if wifi driver could be problem.  Except for printing on wifi direct printer (HP Envy 4512), I have no other wifi issues or errors...none, nada, zip!   -B 

HP Recommended

You can try updating the Printers firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Do you have an HP Laptop as well? 

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry again.  Already did that.  Printer firmware CMP1FN1827BR is UP TO DATE.  Like I said, "routine" suggestions no bueno.

By the way,  no HP laptop.   Toshiba Satellite C55D-B.  Like I said, everything normal after Windows 10 ver. 1903 plus other updates.  No problems anywhere EXCEPT HP wifi direct feature stopped working properly.  Everything sets up normally in Windows but once printer "Ready" --- no communication between Toshiba Satellite C55D-B  AND nearby HP Envy 4512 printer (via wifi direct).  The HP Envy 4512 is connected to another computer very nearby via USB connection.  Printer works perfectly on other computer.  This wifi direct feature used to work with same computers and printer.  Only new event is Windows 10 ver. 1903 OS build 18362.418.   FYI - the wifi driver:  Qualcomm Atheros (AR956x) Extensible Wireless LAN (64bit) ver. 3.02.201 dated: 25-MAR-2016 

HP Recommended

You can contact Toshiba Support to help you restore/go back the Windows Update to a point where all was working fine.

That should help you.

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We do not need to contact Toshiba Support to rollback to previous version of Windows.  The procedure is straightforward.  However, since we cannot be sure that the fault lies with Windows instead of HP, we are unwilling to rollback.  We have no other problems.  So I think an easier solution is to try wifi direct with another brand like Epson or some other printer.  You volunteers are kind to give of your time and of course you cannot solve all problems.  I will close this discussion today: 10/17/2019. Thanks for trying to help...all of you.    

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.