Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 6978 All-in-One printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an HP 6978 All-In-One printer.  I have a problem connecting wirelessly to it from my Dell Laptop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).  When I start up the computer or after bringing it up after sleep mode, I try to print or scan and a message comes up that says "unable to connect to the printer" or "unable to connect to the scanner".

The Printer shows the network Icon on the lcd display and the network status print page shows the printer network status is good.

I have been through the Print and Scan Doctor by HP without any luck except for the one thing that works.  If I turn off the printer and turn it back on, I can then connect and print wirelessly.  But once my computer goes into sleep mode, when I come back up I can't communicate again unless I turn the printer off and on again.  This is a pain.

I can see the printer on my network connections with strong signal.  Is there a setting that I'm just not configuring properly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@eliminator207,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are facing issues while connecting the network printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Is the printer connected to the network? Check the wireless light. If the light is steady blue, then the printer is connected to the network. If the light is flashing, then the printer is not connected to the network. Go to Setup - Network - Wireless setup wizard to connect the printer to the newtork.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, try the steps below to install the printer over the network:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open the Run window (Press Windows logo key + R), type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ6970/OJ6970_Full_WebPack_40.11.1148.exe to download and install the printer software.
  • Select Wireless option on the connection page and then finish the installation.

HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions and everything went well until I got to the link that you provided.  I got a page not found error.  The link had a WebPack_40.11.1148.exe at the end.  I imagine this might have changed since you sent me this fix.  Could you resend me the appropriate link?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@eliminator207

You're welcome. 🙂

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

You may download and install the drivers from this link: https://hp.care/2IwPGeh

Hope this helps. Keep me posted for any further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

No, there is no improvement.  It might even be worse.  If I cycle power on the printer I can connect.  But once my computer goes to sleep or reboots, I lose connectivity.  I don't want to cycle power to my printer everytime I want to print or scan.

HP Recommended

@eliminator207

Thanks for the update.

Looks like your printer is losing it's IP address every now and then. Let us follow the below steps:

• Please download and install the firmware update for the printer via this link: https://hp.care/2pU3yqr
    NOTE: The printer needs to be restarted after the firmware is successfully installed. 

Now your printer should remain connected to the wireless network. If the issue persists then you may once again perform the steps from the earlier post to assign a static IP address to the printer.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I will try your solution but I will be out of town for the weekend so it will be Monday or Tuesday.  I'll let you know if it worked or not.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@eliminator207

You're welcome. 

Sure, please try the steps as conveniently as possible. 

You have a splendid weekend.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Yes, not helpful at all and the second set of instructions, i.e. download and install the firmware update, is not a working link.  Seriously, all of this hassle going through steps I feel uncomfortable with is such a hassle.  I hate this printer and sending this hunk of junk back. 

HP Recommended

@Gabbo2

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.