Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 3055
Android 9.0 Pie

Does HP Print Service Plugin (ver. 21.5.0.59) run on Android 9 support HP LaserJet 3055?

The printer is connected via ethernet cable to the router and has a fixed IP address. The mobile device (with installed HP Print Service Plugin) is connected to the router via WiFi.

However when I try to add a printer on a mobile device with Android:
1) I select HP Print Service Plugin
2) then I choose "On a Wi-Fi Network"
3) then provide a Name and a valid IP address of the printer

Then only a dialog "Fetching printer information" is displayed for a few seconds and then "Printer problem. Unable to communicate with the printer."

Is it possible to print with that plugin to HP LaserJet 3055?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I can see that the the plugin has been updated to version 21.6.0.49 - what solves the issue. HP Plugin now is able to detect and connect to HP LaserJet 3055 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It should be supported according to below support document:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2843711-2427128-16#FAQ_HPPrintforChrome

May you able to access the EWS page of the printer from the browser on your mobile device by typing the printer's IP address in the address bar?

What is the actual IP address of the printer? to ensure it make sense and have a valid IP Address..

Additionally, as this is a very old printer I would also suggest making sure that the printer have the latest firmware updated installed and check if you may then see any difference, this can be done from a computer by following the latest HP Printer Update Utility, attaching a link to the latest Windows Utility:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-3055-all-in-one-printer/11613...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Answering your questions:

• I can access EWS page of the printer from the browser on a mobile device
  • Fixed network settings are:
    • IP address: 192.168.1.16
    • mask: 255.255.255.0 
    • gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • I have installed and verified that printer has the latest firmware as pointed out by you.

Unfortunatelly the problem still exist. HP Print Service Plugin can't communicate with the printer.

(I'm able to print from other devices, i.e. Windows or Linux laptops)

HP Recommended

What is funny - I have installed also HP Smart application.

I setup a printer by following steps:

1) Set up a new printer

2) I selected Ethernet Cable (such option is not available when you configure HP Print Service Plugin - there are only WiFi and Direct)

3) I provided IP address

Printer has been detected (with information Some features unavailable) and I was able to print from the application.

But via the HP Print Service plugin - it is still not possible.

HP Recommended

HP Smart actually uses the HP Print Service Plugin for the actual printout, which make me wonder about the exact problem.

Please open your Android Settings screen and type the Search icon, then search for "Print" and open the Print Settings (the naming would be similar, likely not exactly as written), there you should see any installed Print Services.

Make sure that only the HP Print Service Plugin is enabled and not other print services as the Default Print Service, etc.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have disabled two other services:

• Default print service
  • Canon Print Service

Without success. Still can't select/add printer directly from the plugin.

(Canon service plugin - which is used for my second printer - works without issues)

HP Recommended

Another observation:

I've installed 3rd party printing service (PrintHand) - and it WAS ABLE TO DETECT and CONNECT to HP LaserJet 3055 - something that a dedicated HP Plugin can't perform!

I would forget about using this HP Printing Plugin however this 3rd party tool is a paid solution in a subscribe mode - which is not acceptable for me.

Anyone any other thoughts what can I do or how to force this not working HP Printing Plugin?

Are there any logs whose could be checked?

I know that HP LJ 3055 is an old device (could be that I'm the only one in observable universe who attempts to print on it from Android device), however seems that it is possible, the problem is with HP software.

HP Recommended

Yet another 3rd party printing service for Android (PrinterShare) detects and works with 3055 without issues.

Although premium version is paid, the price in one-time-only-payment model is more acceptable.

Anyway, if someone from HP Support reads this - a little shame on you guys, that your dedicated software can't connect with your own devices. Looks that for independent developers it's not a problem.

HP Recommended

Ok, I can see that the the plugin has been updated to version 21.6.0.49 - what solves the issue. HP Plugin now is able to detect and connect to HP LaserJet 3055 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.