Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased and installed a HP Envy 5530 printer using the wireless print option and all seemed well.  However, when I printed an Excel spreadsheet I discovered that the horizontal grid lines printed inconsistantly...some were there and some were not.  At first I thought I may have had a corrupted file but the problem occurred on three more files.

I think HP updated some printer software a day or two previous to the problem, but my printer is so new I can't recall if I tried to print any Excel files prior to the update.  Therefore, I can't tie the problem to the update for sure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I was ready to take the printer back when my daughter, who taught 8th graders excel, gave me the solution. Just highlight the fields containing your data, click on format, cells, border, outline, inside and then the lines will all print properly. I am surprised that no one from HP came up with the solution.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Hi @Badger66 

Are you able to scan a sample of the printout? Are you only having issues printing from Excel (is the print quality good when printing from other applications such as Word?)

Does it seem to be an issue with the black cartridge? If so, what is the warranty ends date on it? (YYYY/MM/DD)

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Ciara,

My Word documents print fine and the quality of both Word and Excel documents is great except for the fact that only some of the Excel horizontal grid lines print.  The ink that came in the box with my printer was not in the type of cardboard packaging  you get when you buy it at Staples, etc., so it didn't have a date.  I suppose there could be one clogged or damaged jet and I will insert a new cartridge as soon as the current cartridge gives out.

Thanks for your help.

Badger66

I have inserted the scan here...there should be grid lines for every line but as you can see, some are missing.

Scan0001.jpg

HP Recommended

@Badger66 

Check the warranty ends date on the cartridge. If it's in warranty I'd suggest contacting HP Phone Support for a replacement. Can you please let me know how you get on?

Wty ends dates.jpg

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

Ciara,

Today I replaced the Black ink cartridge in my new HP Envy 5530 printer.  The expiration date on the old cartridge was OK (July, 2015) as was the date on the new one.  I printed several Excel files in the hopes that a faulty ink cartridge was the problem.  No such luck.  All three speadsheets had missing horizontal grid lines. 

What explanations are left?

1.  Faulty printer.

2.  Bug in the printing software.

3.  Bug in Excel (that was not apparent with my HP Officejet 6300).

4.  Subtle glitch in the internet.

5.  Other??

Your thoughts.

HP Recommended

Hi @Badger66 

Could you please tell me the exact warranty ends date? Is it 2015/10 ??

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have listed the warranty date and what appears to be a serial number for both the original (old) and replacement (new) ink cartridges.  For what it may be worth, I included the letter that appears after the date.

ORIGINAL

2015/07/16     Z     2415603076925502

REPLACEMENT

2015/10/13     Y     2382520001697447

Again, thanks for your help.

Badger66

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a printer of about same price range, which uses only 2 cartridges (one black, one color) which prints all Excel gridlines, as well as documents from other programs and the occasional photo, at no slower speed?

My month-old Envy 5530, wired to my computer, leaves out half the grid lines when printing an Excel document in either "draft" or "normal" modes.  The only answer seems to be to print in "best" mode, therefore using more ink and slowing down the print job.

After reading other comments in this forum, I believe the problem lies with the model.

I finally got around to calling HP, which is willing to send me another Envy 5530, but I doubt this will solve the problem.

Does anyone have experience with HP deskjet 3510 or 2510 printers?  Are they better or worse?

HP Recommended

I just today installed a new 5530 and have the same problem as you were having, I also have a 5510 and a 5520 both print the horizontal gridlines perfectly. I have already talked to HP customer service, live and great from India. (waste of time)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will contiue to work the problem but I am doubtfull that it will be solve, the strange thing if you make a copy of a spreadsheet with gridlines from the scanner, it prints them fine, it just will not do it from a file. Good luck. If I come up with anything I will add it here.

HP Recommended

Clara B, I think you are "fishing in the wrong fishing hole."  I don't see how cartridges could have any bearing in this problem.  It has to be something related to the printer software and its relationship to Excel.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.