Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

If I reboot the printer it works. Why do I have to do this every time I print?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Dd1074,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there might be a communication issue between your iPad or iPhone and your HP printer. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem.

• Update Printer Firmware: Make sure your HP printer's firmware is up to date. HP often releases firmware updates to improve compatibility and performance.
  • Restart Printer and Mobile Device: Sometimes, simply restarting both your printer and your iPad or iPhone can resolve connectivity issues.
  • Check Wi-Fi Connection: Ensure that both your printer and your mobile device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If they are not on the same network, they won't be able to communicate.
  • Forget and Reconnect Wi-Fi: On your iPad or iPhone, forget the Wi-Fi network your printer is connected to, then reconnect to it. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.
  • Reset Printer Network Settings: Within your printer's settings menu, there should be an option to reset network settings. Try resetting these settings and then reconnecting your printer to your Wi-Fi network.
  • Reinstall Printer App: If you're using a specific app to print from your iPad or iPhone, try uninstalling and reinstalling it to ensure it's functioning properly.
  • Check Printer Queue: Sometimes, print jobs can get stuck in the printer queue, causing the "printer busy" message. Check the print queue on your mobile device and clear any pending jobs.

By going through these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the issue and print from your iPad or iPhone without having to reboot your printer every time.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I have tried all these things. When I reboot the printer and my iPad, it will work. Next time I go to print the same thing happens. I don’t want to do this every time. And there is no way to update the firmware. Could it have something to do with the recent update to iOS 17.5?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.