Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Print for Chrome
Chrome OS

We have been using HP Print for Chrome for our chromebooks for over a year. A few weeks ago it stopped working. After some troubleshooting and searching I found that the chromebook app was removed and replaced with the new HP Print for Chrome Extension. We have not been able to get that to work since it was updated. Does anyone have any available information on this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@fcappiello

Welcome to the HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having an issue printing from Chrome as well. I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978. The extension opens an HP web page not related to Chrome at all. The HP Smart app will not allow me to login and use its features.So Scanning has been limited through G Suite. (I assume this is what was replaced with the extension?) And when I print from the doc viewer, it only prints half of the page. A spinning circle appears with "printing..." on the display. Then after some time, it cancels the print job and spits out the page with no error code. I'm here for information, as well.

HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978

T0F29A

HP Recommended

@Jeremy8541

Remove and add the printer to the Chromebook

1. On the Chromebook, click the clock in the bottom right corner, and then click the Settings icon .

2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Advanced.

3. Scroll to the Printing section, click Printers, and then click Add Printer.

• If your printer displays, click it, and then click Add.

• If your printer does not display, click Add Manually, and then follow the instructions to add the printer. Go to Chromebook Help - Set up your printer (in English) for more information.

Add a printer in Chrome OS

Refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer was already saved in my settings. I removed it and re-saved it. This time the print job didn't even make it half way before it quit and the spinning wheel came up for it to only cancel the print job.

HP Recommended

@Jeremy8541

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ All readers,

As long as you are an individual user rather than an organization managing printers via Google Admin I have documented a fully validated Chromebook printing problem workaround for any HP network printer that is listed here even if it is not affected by the specific problem represented by the thread title. You can read my post about it on the Chromebook Help Community web pages (where I specialize in printing issues) submitted under my actual name.

My Chromebook Help Community post includes a rational hypothesis about what seems to be a major HP Print for Chrome flaw but if my hypothesis is correct, I have no idea whether a future HP Print for Chrome update could fix such a problem. It would depend on whether the new version of HP Print for Chrome can somehow restore/recruit the binary plugin that appears to be missing from the newer, smaller extension-only version but appeared to be built into the older, larger app version (see footnote).

Footnote

Both versions of HP Print for Chrome state(d) that they can be run offline. This implies that the binary plugin is a preloaded (and probably integral) module.

HP Recommended

Have HP ENVY Pro 6455 All in one printer. Both printer and my HP Chrome computer are on my network and were printing . All of a sudden when I try and print from my computer it says printing, but my printer does nothing. Both my IPADS are still able to print.

HP Recommended

@ Rick169

With your particular printer you don't need to use HP Print for Chrome at all. You now have the option of using the print method built into Chrome OS itself known as either Chrome OS CUPS or Chrome OS native printing. This print method  is actually recommended by HP on the support web page titled HP printer setup (Chromebook).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.