Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart app
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Up until Tuesday morning , 15th December 2020, I was able to access the advanced settings option on both my Mac and iPad through the HP Smart app.

After HP’s firmware update at 7.09am that same morning, this feature is now missing completely from both my Mac and my iPad versions. I have deleted and reinstalled the app and still no advanced settings. 

why? Screenshot below after new install of the app. 

HP Smart app menu after new install of appHP Smart app menu after new install of app

The earth without Art would simply be ‘Eh’
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

CAFAB130-E4FC-44E4-A6D1-FD3E21F787FD.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

Which printer model do you have?

As this is a network printer, you may access its EWS page from your web browser, this is the page shown by selecting Advanced Settings.

You may click on Network Settings and locate the IP Address of the printer, then access it from your browser:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01123173

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Typical, the screen shots I posted are only big ? 

I have a HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M181fw I also have the latest updated version of HP Smart app on my Mac running updated latest version OS and iPad.  I can not access any admin settings anymore since the 15th December 2020 illegal firmware update install! All menu items relating to any advanced settings have been removed on the same date and time as the firmware install. 

HP Recommended

Did you even read what I’d written? I no longer have access to the EWS! It’s been removed by HP! 

HP Recommended

i have read everything written in your otiginal post and replied back with the provided information, please keep on polite and don't blame me for trying to help you as a volunteer during my free time, this is a peer to peer community and not a direct contact with HP.

Advanced Settings are one option in HP Smart to access the EWS page, an EWS page is another thing (using a different method), so the question if you can access its EWS page in another way.

Print and evaluate a Network Summary page as listed below, locate the IPv4 address within the TCP/IP(v4) section:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05590472

Can you access the printer's homepage using its IP address, or may you see any specific error message or behavior?

HP Recommended

I apologise if I came across as rude, the firmware update destroyed my printer and after being out of work since March due to covid this has caused me not only financial distress but also utter dismay at the treatment by HP technical support at the start of this debacle, it isn’t my intention to be rude, finding out a company can access something I own in this manner is highly concerning especially when I had my printers admin settings on to not allow any updates or data usage to be sent to HP and had disabled cartridge protection and security, all of those settings had been reset on the 15th of December and that was not done by me.

I can no longer access anything on either my printer or through the HP smart app to do with advanced settings or network, which is why I had provided the screen shots which are now actually showing. My printer control panel will not allow me to access anything to do with admin, security or advanced settings including network after that update. It is the same when I open the app on my Mac. 

nothing you posted is a solution as all of these had been attempted by myself during the 2 hour phone conversation with HP tech support this week,  I wanted to know if anyone else, not a HP employee, had this same issue with the HP smart app after the recent firmware update in the past few weeks. The actions of HP have resulted in me involving the ACCC here in Australia. 

have an awesome festive season. Again it wasn’t my intention to appear to be treating you with rudeness. 

HP Recommended

No worries @Dimichele, accepted 🙂

Please print and evaluate a Wireless Network Test Report as listed below:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05590472

May you see any alert in the header of the report? can you see any IP listed?

Please print both a Wireless Network Test, a Configuration Report and a Network Summary page and provide me a picture of the reports via a Private Message (please do not post such personal information publicly) to get some better understanding of any possible cause,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

@Shlomil, thank you for trying to assist.

sorry but my laser printer has been ‘bricked’ by the latest firmware update. It no longer prints, won’t even manually scan, I can not access anything to do with advanced settings not even any reports. HP management are in consultation with me now as I have referred the issues to the ACCC here in Australia. 

enjoy your festive celebrations no matter how or where you celebrate. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.