Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp officejet 3830
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer worked perfectly until recently. However since a couple of days the printer keeps disconnecting from WiFi. It is continually connectedfor about 30 seconds and then the connection is disconnected and it starts connecting again. I have placed the printer next to the router which did not help. I have updated the firmware and reinstalled the printer. Nothing has worked so far. 

Anyone have a solution?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Sa3a

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the connectivity issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Or, maybe connected through an extender?

3) Are you able to print from a different device? 

4) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

To isolate the issue, please perform a ping test and share the results-

a) Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer.

b) On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box.

c) Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings.

d) Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost.

Note: There should be 0% packet loss

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

to answer your questions. 

the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network.

the router is a dual band. And yes both the Mac and the printer (if connected) are on the same band

i am not able to print from another device via WiFi because the printer keeps disconnecting. If I connect the laptop with a cable to the printer it does work. 

there is antivirus installed but that should not be a problem because the printer keeps disconnecting from the router so no problem with the printing itself but the WiFi connection of the printer to the router. 

regarding the ping test. I was able to get an IP address from the printer when it was connected to the internet (connection lasted about 30 seconds). However shortly thereafter it was disconnected and the package loss was 100%. 

regarding the bonjourpackages. No idea what that is but again the printer worker fine and was able to connect to the router and I was able to print from my phone and computer. Recently the printer connects to the router for about half an minute and then disconnects again. Other appliances that work via WiFi (sonos speakers) work do not have that problem. Have pinged the router when the printer was disconnected again and there was nothing wrong with the WiFi connection from the router. So I believe there is something wrong with the network connection ability Of the printer

HP Recommended

@Sa3a

This printer does not support 5 GHz. Make sure the printer and your Mac are connected to the 2.4 GHz network. 

I'd suggest you check with your ISP regarding the 'Bonjour packets'. If your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets', print a Wireless Test report and post it here -

1) On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon (), then touch the Settings icon ().

2) Touch Print Reports, then touch Wireless Test Report.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I printed the wireless report. However I can not post it here. The form does not give the possibility to add a photo. How do I sent the report?

HP Recommended

@Sa3a

Take a picture of the printer report and click on the attachment icon while posting. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The mobile website does not have this option but with the computer it apparently does. I am not posting the IP adres and Mac adres online so I blacked this out. IMG_1062 kopie.jpg

HP Recommended

@Sa3a

As the packet loss was 100% and also the channel is 2 according to the report, this is could be an issue with either the channel or bonjour forwarding, I'd suggest you contact your Internet Service Provider regarding this. 

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.