cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
hayesfra
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

I have locks on all my quick printing shortcuts. What does that mean?

HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640 All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I set my printer to do 2-sided printing.  Now I cannot get it to copy single copies.  It keeps printing front and back.  I have notice I have locks on all my quick print setting.  I have unstalled and restalled the driver as the HP doctor said to do but it didn't help!  Hope someone can!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
34,499 26,026 3,183 10,039
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hayesfra 

The "locked" templates are normal.

The printer control panel may -- or may not -- allow you to create custom shortcuts on the printer.

The printer software used on the computer provides the most control and access to the printer features.

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

Printer Software

These are "use as is" shortcuts and / or you can select one of the locked shortcuts, make changes, and then use "Save as" to create a new custom shortcut of your setup.

Newer printer software has "done away" with the visual locks - you are not the only one to have been confused by this method of designating the "template" shortcuts.

Both the Printing Preferences and the Scan dialogs look similar - that is, "original" shortcuts provided by the printer software might have a "lock" next to the shortcut (depends on version / type of printer software).  Custom shortcuts are marked with an alternate icon - perhaps a "Star" or a tiny people icon.

General Examples

"New" printer software - Officejet Pro 8740

8740_Printer_Assistant_Shortcuts_18740_Printer_Assistant_Shortcuts_1

Example - Officejet Pro 8630 (printer software circa 2015 at this writing)

Print_Preferences_Template_1Print_Preferences_Template_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
34,499 26,026 3,183 10,039
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hayesfra 

The "locked" templates are normal.

The printer control panel may -- or may not -- allow you to create custom shortcuts on the printer.

The printer software used on the computer provides the most control and access to the printer features.

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

Printer Software

These are "use as is" shortcuts and / or you can select one of the locked shortcuts, make changes, and then use "Save as" to create a new custom shortcut of your setup.

Newer printer software has "done away" with the visual locks - you are not the only one to have been confused by this method of designating the "template" shortcuts.

Both the Printing Preferences and the Scan dialogs look similar - that is, "original" shortcuts provided by the printer software might have a "lock" next to the shortcut (depends on version / type of printer software).  Custom shortcuts are marked with an alternate icon - perhaps a "Star" or a tiny people icon.

General Examples

"New" printer software - Officejet Pro 8740

8740_Printer_Assistant_Shortcuts_18740_Printer_Assistant_Shortcuts_1

Example - Officejet Pro 8630 (printer software circa 2015 at this writing)

Print_Preferences_Template_1Print_Preferences_Template_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation