Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660

My MacBook Air and HP Envy 5660 printer have been working great for several years.  A friend added her computer to the network on a visit and used the printer. Now, my MacBook cannnot find the printer on the network. I reinstalled the connection from the printer to the network. And, tried reinstalling the printer driver, but because the Mac could not find the printer, the driver could not be installed. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mimi65

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the printer is not scanning to the MAC, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to do any changes in the settings?

Is copy working fine?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

However, I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then, Restart devices and check driver scan settings

Restarting the computer and printer can restore the scan connection and scan options, then check the scanning settings on the Mac.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Make sure the printer power cord connects directly to an electrical outlet and not through a surge protector or power strip.

3. Close all running programs on the computer, then restart the computer.

4. Turn on the printer.

5. On the desktop, double-click Macintosh HD, click Applications, click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility.

NOTE:

If HP Utility is not in the folder, skip to the step to install the HP software for your printer.

6. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer, then make sure the Enable Scan to Computer check box is selected.

7. Try to scan.

Enable Scan to Computer.

1. Turn the printer off and on again so the Mac finds and uses the correct driver.

2. On the Mac, open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, double-click the HP folder, and then double-click HP Utility.

3. Click All Settings, click Scan to Computer, and then select the box next to Enable Scan to Computer if it is not already selected.

Figure : Enable scan to computer in HP Utility

Enable scan to computer in HP Utility
  4. On the printer control panel, navigate to the scan menu or icon, and then select your computer name.

5. Try to scan.

Remove printer from the printer list

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer remains offline or displays an error, continue to the next step.

Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE:

If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try printing again.

Keep me posted, how it goes! However, I'll try and follow up in next 24 to 48 hours to doublecheck on the issue.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mimi65

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the printer is not scanning to the MAC, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to do any changes in the settings?

Is copy working fine?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

However, I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then, Restart devices and check driver scan settings

Restarting the computer and printer can restore the scan connection and scan options, then check the scanning settings on the Mac.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Make sure the printer power cord connects directly to an electrical outlet and not through a surge protector or power strip.

3. Close all running programs on the computer, then restart the computer.

4. Turn on the printer.

5. On the desktop, double-click Macintosh HD, click Applications, click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility.

NOTE:

If HP Utility is not in the folder, skip to the step to install the HP software for your printer.

6. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer, then make sure the Enable Scan to Computer check box is selected.

7. Try to scan.

Enable Scan to Computer.

1. Turn the printer off and on again so the Mac finds and uses the correct driver.

2. On the Mac, open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, double-click the HP folder, and then double-click HP Utility.

3. Click All Settings, click Scan to Computer, and then select the box next to Enable Scan to Computer if it is not already selected.

Figure : Enable scan to computer in HP Utility

Enable scan to computer in HP Utility
  4. On the printer control panel, navigate to the scan menu or icon, and then select your computer name.

5. Try to scan.

Remove printer from the printer list

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer remains offline or displays an error, continue to the next step.

Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE:

If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try printing again.

Keep me posted, how it goes! However, I'll try and follow up in next 24 to 48 hours to doublecheck on the issue.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.