Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I got this laptop years ago and it came installed with Windows 8. But Windows 8, being Windows 8, literally broke when it was trying to instal an update. At the time I needed to reinstal windows but I didn't have the product key because it came installed on the computer. It's in the BIOS somewhere, I just can't get it.

Cut ahead a few years later and I've installed different versions of LINUX OS but they just don't cut it so my laptop has been sitting aside for ages. I'm at the point now where I'm trying to instal windows 8.1, or 10 from a bootable USB but nothing seems to work. It currently has the OS elementary installed and that's all it wants to do. From the start up system recovery does nothing and I'm at a bit of a loss. Any bit of help would be awesome.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is how you can reinstall W8.1 by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'Standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

When you get to the screen that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. Click Next, and W8.1 should begin to install.

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

In order to boot from a USB flash drive, have it in the USB port, turn on the PC, immediately tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.  Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the USB flash drive, and press the Enter key.

The PC should then boot from the USB flash drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.