Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I've tried printing various documents via AirPrint, but my MacBook and phone say that there are no AirPrint printers. I used to have no problem with it but all of a sudden I just can't seem to connect to it. The only thing that work was doing the HP Direct method, but that forces me to disconnect my computer from the active wifi and can't print from the internet. I couldn't get to the right help through the Virtual Agent, since my issue isn't really an available option that is listed or accessible.

So here's further details on my issue: my HP Envy 4500 printer and my MacBook are connected to my wifi. I printed out both the HP Network Configuration Page and the Wireless Network Test Results, both said the network is fine and the connection is good. However, for some reason neither my phone or my MacBook can find my printer when I try to wirelessly print. Furthermore I can't even update the driver or anything because of said "cannot find printer" makes it impossible for the programs to acknowledge the printer to update, even though both devices are connected to the same wifi. Also, when I type in the IP address of my printer nothing comes up because the page times out, so I can't check if AirPrint is enabled or other details. I restarted my router, printer, and MacBook, that didn't work. I reset my printer to defaults, and tried connecting again, but got stuck in the same spot. I have the email option set up, but I really just want to get back to the AirPrint option since I frequently print from apps and websites and am unable to always use other methods of printing. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Dflo32, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Do you have any Anti-virus software installed on your MAC?
  • Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network. This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC. (if connected)

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Re-connect the printer to the wireless network

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Perform a ping test

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon https://support.hp.com/wps/hp-skp-portlets/document/attachments/162/c02131772.gif  on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, my router isn't dual band so all devices are on the same bandwidth. I've also reset the wireless to default and reconnected to the network. Tested out the ping in Network Utility: 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss. One thing I can't figure out is why, when I type my printer's IP address in any URL address bar on any browser, the IP address never loads a page and always says the connection timed out. That also makes it impossible to find my printer on any device by manually typing its IP address in my Mac's Printer Settings. I've attached screenshots of the ping test, and the wireless network test results:Ping resultsPing resultsWireless Network Test ResultsWireless Network Test Results

HP Recommended

@Dflo32

Thank you for the detailed response. The printer is not connected to the wireless network and hence you are not able to reach the EWS page of the printer by typing in the IP address of the printer in a browser.

Also, the PING test failed. This means there is no connectivity between the printer and the router.

Have you checked if your router is able to forward Bonjour packets?

And do you have any Anti-virus program installed on your MAC?

This issue might occur even if MAC filtering is enabled on the router. you can check the same with your Internet service provider.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not sure why it would print out a report that says it is connected then, that part I'm confused with, because shouldn't it say not connected and fail the network test? Then it would make sense that the ping failed and the IP is unreachable, yet the printer keeps reporting that it is connected to the network.

My router is able to forward Bonjour packets, I've had this printer and router for a few years now and have been able to use the AirPrint feature without issue until about 2 weeks ago. 

I don't have any anti-virus software installed.

And MAC filtering is disabled on my network.

On my network device list, the printer is listed but the connection type says pending and status is off (despite the printer being powered on and saying it is connected to the internet).

HP Recommended

@Dflo32

In this case, let us reset the printer to its factory settings and then try connecting the printer to the wireless network and check if that resolves this issue.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage 

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.