Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My new HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 keeps going off the wireless connection despite it being recognized on my iMac computer and despite the printer showing wireless is working. I tried online help. Did everything including uninstalling software and reinstalling. I finally had HP support take remote control of my computer and do all the tricks. Was told it was perfect. Later, same problem.  I can turn off the wireless connection (even though it shows it is connected on printer display but won’t work) then turn back on then it will work for a time. I sometimes have had to turn printer on/off.  HP support said it must be my router, but my TV, computer, cellphones, kid’s laptops never stop working. How could it be the router? Any ideas? Please help. Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@TABAL

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand you need support and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

What's the make and model of your WiFi router?

Approximately how far is the printer and Mac located from your WiFi router?

Could you also print a network configuration report and share the report with us. In order to print the report:

1.) From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, touch ( Setup ).

2.) Touch Reports.

3.) Select Network configuration page.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had this same issue with my old HP .... always end up having to turn off my printer, turn it back on and then my tablets and desktop can find my printer.   Never had this issue with my old HP Envy.  We tried a couple of solutions ... worked for a day, but then same old story.... so we just replaced the old with the 8715.   Same deal.   wireless seems to work with everything else ... so how can it not be working with the printer?  Agreed.  Please help.

HP Recommended

@Lulu624

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. I understand you need support and I'll be glad to help you out.

Are you using a Mac computer?

What's the make and model of your WiFi router?

The wireless light on the printer is it, steady or is it blinking?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I am a MAC user ....  High Sierra 10.13.6 OS

Wireless light is on and steady.

Router is Ubee Model DVW32C.

I am wondering if a wireless booster might be helpful, even though we are not having wireless issues with any of our other devices.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Lulu624

You are welcome! HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 printer is AirPrint compatible. Let's try setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint, here is how to do it:

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print and scan.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Worked well the first day ... then same old, same old.  Have to reboot printer every day (sometimes more than once) in order for desktop to find it.  Wifi signals strong.  Have to reboot iPads to find printer as well.  Thinkng of returning my new printer and exchanging for a Brothers printer.  Perhaps theirs will work well.  HP has always had good printers, but this is just not acceptable to me.

HP Recommended

@Lulu624

That's unfortunate 😞 Could you perform a ping test using the Network Utility on Mac and let me know the results. Use the printer IP address and perform a ping test, you can locate the printer IP address by touching the wireless icon on the printer control panel display.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here are the ping results.  I spent an hour on the phone with the Costco Concierge ... he also had HP online.  Reset the printer ... for a 3rd time.  I had the same issue with my HP 6958 that was purchased in June.  It almost appears as if the printer goes to sleep and doesn't waken unless rebooted.  Then I have to reboot the devices as well.   working OK at the moment, but I would lay odds it will not work tomorrow morning.  

PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=5.392 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.313 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=62.119 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=40.334 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=52.040 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=7.458 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=46.504 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=4.999 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=44.622 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=79.256 ms

--- 192.168.0.2 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.313/34.704/79.256/25.911 ms

HP Recommended

@Lulu624

Thanks! It looks like there is no packet loss during the ping test. Assigning a manual IP for the printer should stabilize the connection, the steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here. Once you assign a manual IP for the printer, restart printer and router.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.