Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have tried both the google servers and level 3 servers and the result is the same.

I just hung up with cloud support.  They could not help me either.  They couldn't transfer me to escalated support because they close at 4 eastern.

It is loaded with the latest firmware.

I cannot connect this printer directly because of where the router is located and lack of plugs.  The cable modem and the router are plugged into the same wall socket so no more plugs and I don't have an extension cord.

Are you wanting me to try to get it enabled directly and then see if it works when I plug back in wirelessly?

HP Recommended

Connecting the printer to the cable modem with an ethernet cable and doing a factory reset yields the same results.

HP Recommended

Found the solution. I'm at a client's house installing an OfficeJet Pro 8620 as well, and got exactly the same problem.

DO NOT EVER SET PROXY SETTINGS. In the past these settings have been locked into a printer due to a bug in the firmware, and requires a factory reset to clear them. A proxy server is *NEVER* used on a modern internet connection and has no relation to your ISP login. It's an old relic of the 1990s that's obsolete today.

The problem is the date/time settings in the printer preventing a secure connection. Make sure the date/time is correct on the home screen. If not, set it under the Settings menu (swipe the icons to the left to the second page), then Printer Setup, then set the date and time properly.

HP should issue an update to these services that first syncs the date and time with an NTP server (it's online, isn't it? Ask the internet what time it is!), THEN proceeds to attempt a secure connection. As it is now, it'll fail if the date and time don't match - mine was set to 2013 by accident, causing the error.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. This is such an easy fix and it worked perfectly after hours of trying other options.

HP Recommended

I tried correcting the date and time and still can't get anywhere so that I can print out the printer claim code.  It shouldn't be this difficult!!!

HP Recommended
I have the same problem and still no joy. Did you resolve this problem?
HP Recommended

After several hours and countless attempts, I simply removed the broadband cable from the printer (while trying to investigate the possibility of connecting the printer directly to the router by ethernet).  On replacing the cable, waiting for about 2 minutes, the printer automatically went into a reset mode requesting me to reset the date and time.  Immediatley after resetting the date and time, the web service enabling automatically started and went through to successful completion.  I hope this simple procedure works for othewrs struggling with the web service setup.

HP Recommended
I spent hours trying to figure this out. The time was off by several hours. Fixed and back up. My questions is how did the time get changed?
HP Recommended

Have tried for weeks to sort out Web enabling problem - today read a suggestion about date error - checked printer and found it was set a year out - changed to current year and BINGO - the web service works again

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem and was very frustrated.

It seemed that although my printer's status said it was connected to the wireless network (and indeed it was showing as connected to the wireless network via all configuration/diagnostic reports) it was not not fully connected due to a phantom issue with the hub!!!! 

I realised there was an issue with the hub, because occassionally I couldn't connect to the embedded web server (EWS) when i entered the printer's IP address into the address bar.

Solution - I found that physically disconnecting/resetting my hub and HP printer fixed the problem temporarily.

Also, I decided to assign a fixed/satic IP address to the printer (rather than allowing the Hub to automatically assign this) and it has been working perfectly since. Please see below video on how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYNMNKJMX4

The final step is slightly different to update the IP address in the HP folder for the HP8620.

Instead I opened the HP Printer Assistant software (i.e. the HP Officejet Pro 8620 shortcut from start menu), selected the "utilities" tab, then selected "Update IP Address" icon. The test should work once your router has reset and internet connetivity fully restored.

Good luck!

Trav

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.