bmrey_7
Level 1
2 1 0 4
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Printer will not connect to wifi: security says no encryption

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8035

I have been using my Office Jet Pro 8035 wirelessly for about two months.  A few days ago it stopped connecting to the wifi.  The home wifi comes up as an option to connect to, but when I try to select it, it says security: no encryption, so I cannot enter the password.  I am able to print with HP wifi Direct, but it is only a short term solution, as it will be an issue with my instant ink subscription.   I have tried resetting the network settings, but either they didn't reset (I'm not sure how to check) or for some other reason, it didn't work.  I still got the "security: no encryption" when I attempted to use the set up wizard.

5 REPLIES 5
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bmrey_7 Welcome to HP Community!

HP Printers do not work on or connect to public networks, I suggest you connect to a private network and check if that works,

Also, if it doesn't work on a private network, here's what you need to do:

The below article explains how to reconnect a previously installed wireless printer to the network if you changed your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or purchased a new router. When you change network settings such as the network name and password, you must also reconfigure the printer for those new settings.

NOTE: 

When troubleshooting a connection to your wireless network, make sure you are connecting your printer to the router and not a wireless extender.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
bmrey_7
Author
Level 1
2 1 0 4
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am attempting to reconnect the printer to our home wifi, not a public network.  I have completed the steps in the article that you linked, and it still will not connect.  In the part of the set up where I would usually enter the wifi network password, it says security no encryption.  Up until last week, it had been working perfectly, so I don't know what changed.  I printed the wireless network test results.  It says MAC address filtering may be enabled on the wireless router.  I do not know how to check this (the router is a lease from Mediacom) and I haven't changed anything.  

B_Will
Level 6
584 574 36 52
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This link is to Mediacom YouTube help page.

There is a video to setup your ID, then another one shows you how to connect to the router and make changes on the router.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5C5BB89D52A16C2 

0 Kudos
Jdubber
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!  Not sure if this issue is still active; which video specifically?  My HP 7740 just came down with the same exact symptoms, still unable to see wireless network security and be prompted for network password.  I have been running Tenda Nova MW6 mesh wireless network for almost a year and started having problems with this printer 10/2019.

Any help appreciated!!

0 Kudos
Jdubber
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solution found!  Had to go into web Admin interface while connected to wired network and force the Wireless (802.11) > Advanced > Network Settings > (select) WPA-PSK Authentication > WPA Version & Encruption = Automatic > Passphrase (enter my passphrase) to connect.  Not sure why this was ever changed in the last 90 days.  Hope this helps someone!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation