Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, When I print from the HP SMART APP, it will only print PDF documents.  How do I get it to print everything, i.e. word and excel documents.  I'm using an HP OfficeJet 3830 All in one Printer.  I'm printing from an HP Pavilion laptop, using Windows 11.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks @Greenturtle, I'll check out the video and give it a try.  Again, thanks @Dragon-Fur for your help.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@stripefish 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

At this writing,

HP Smart - Windows - supports printing / scanning for PDF and photos / images.

You need the Full Driver printer software to print from within Word and other Office software.

Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software - Installation Package - Information and Download

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Printer Assistant / HP Scan

The Full Feature Software should be installed and functional (working as expected).

If the full driver printer software is installed but not working correctly, it can be uninstalled / reinstalled.

Printer Software Check - Is the printer software installed?

Notes

When the full driver printer software is installed,

Find the printer software listed in Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features.

The installation of the full printer software adds two shortcut icons to the Desktop.

The Printer Assistant is named for the printer and provides access to Print , Scan , and Tools

HP Scan is named for itself and provides a direct call to the HP Scan software.

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_5Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_5

Next...

Printer software installed and  listed >> Software is out of date or is not working

NOTE:  If the printer software shows installed but is not working as expected, remove and reload the software.

NOTE:  Windows 11

Windows Start > Search for Control Panel and open

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

What if?

If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and is “still hanging around” after you uninstall / Restart...

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

Revo Uninstaller (Free version)

then

Reminder:  If using USB, disconnect the USB printer cable between the printer and the computer before installing software.  (Re)Connect the USB cable when instructed to do so near the end of the installation procedure.

==========================================================

Next,

Download-Save-Install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software

• Not working?  If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

Check:  After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers.  If found, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove"

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
  • If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

References / Resources

Fastest – Export document to PDF

Export your Word document to PDF format and print that file.

Print PDF file using Adobe Reader DC

Adobe Reader DC – Install Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software can be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

=================================================

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a detailed response.  It's very impressive!  I've spent some time going through it.  I don't have any HP OfficeJet Pro software in my Control Panel...or anything that would indicate printing.  In my Apps, all I have related to printing is the HP Smart app.  I was told by Support at one point that I should print everything from Smart.  Unfortunately I didn't know at the time that it would only print PDF docs;  otherwise, I would have asked them about printing others.  I can print word and excel directly when I'm in the document and so far that seems to be working.  

Honestly, your solutions are beyond my capabilities.  But I do truly appreciate the effort and time you took to give me such a comprehensive solution.  I'm sure that others will benefit from your expertise. 

Thank you so much!   

HP Recommended

@stripefish 

You are welcome.

Perhaps you could try installing the full driver software.

Download and Save the installation package to your computer.

Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software - Installation Package - Information and Download

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Follow the Basic instructions in the first post

OR

Simplified version:

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

If the installation offers something you don't want (for Example, Instant Ink), Skip that part.

The installation also helps guide you to the completion.

After the installation is completed,

you can check to make sure the printer is set as the default "printing device".

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

@greenturtle 

Which Technology Tips video is closest to this printer - simplest "download and install" of the full feature software?

Thanks!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur 

Sure.

@stripefish Can download the FULL software for Oficejet 3830 as shared:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-seri...

This resource (example) will show how to install the FULL software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7Hbgqlyvs

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Click on the link to subscribe and get the latest video uploads: https://goo.gl/y4Rcn1 Remember to like and share the video if you know of friends that would find this useful. Click on the bell so you will not miss out on any new videos. This tutorial shows how to scan using the Automatic Document
HP Recommended

Thanks @Greenturtle, I'll check out the video and give it a try.  Again, thanks @Dragon-Fur for your help.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.