Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6960
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting the above error and have tried unistalling and reinstalling the printer.  Tried downloading drivers, also the  firmware and a few other things, but can't get my printer to print.  The password I'm using is correct.  Don't understand why I'm suddenly getting this message as the printer has been working fine until now and nobody has touched any settings.

P.S.  I'm not particularly computer literate, so please try to help in laymans terms.  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ziggy_1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you need assistance with the Printer security settings. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this.

Let's try to restore the printer to the original network settings: 

Once done, I would suggest the next step would be to run the Wireless setup wizard on the printer: 

Run through the Wireless setup and try connecting to your network again.

For more details, please go through the User guide of your Printer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done everything that you advised but it didn't work, so I also followed the instructions on the email you sent me and did a semi-full reset.  I still can't get it to print documents from my computer although it's congratulating me on being web connected!  I don't want to print from my smartphone or tablet or anything other than my PC.

Is this problem anything to do with my contract with HP for printing and ink?  If so, I can cancel it if its creating problems.

HP Recommended

@Ziggy_1,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

I reviewed your conversation and as you have mentioned that you have subscribed in Instant Ink.

In order to access your account details please get back to me with the following details in private message only:

1. Your instant ink account number

2. Your email address registered with HP instant ink subscription.

You have a good day

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

screenshot.jpg

HP Recommended

@Ziggy_1,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on “Show Options”.
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an officejet 8715 and got the same screen as shown above.  I clicked on the settings icon on the printer screen, and it displayed the passphrase of 12345678.  It took me a while to stumble across it.  I hope it works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.