Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255

Please help. I spent over 6 hours trying to get my HP OfficeJet 5255 to connect to my router and nothing worked. I also called my internet provider because I thought my router was the problem. 

I read a previous thread stating the printer can only connect to 2.4, no problem there, confirmed that is what the printer is connecting to. I have restarted, reset, etc. 

The issue is, when I select my home network, the printer does not prompt me to enter my password. Instead it States “Security: no encryption” I click “ok”, the system says “connecting” and of course it ends in an error because you need a password to connect to my WiFi network, the printer just isn’t identifying that. 

Please se please help. I am frustrated and need my printer.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Trying_Tried_00

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

Let's restore the network settings on the Printer here:

From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch ( Settings ). 2. Touch Restore Network Settings, and then follow the onscreen instructions. 3. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did not help. Other suggestions? 

HP Recommended

@Trying_Tried_00,

It looks like you were interacting with @Betty0610, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I understand you have tried to restore the printer to network defaults and this has not helped to resolve the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps one by one. 

Update the printer firmware: 

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. 

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

To update the printer using the printer control panel

1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, swipe left to see ( Setup ) and touch

( Setup ).

2. Touch Tools.

3. Touch Update the Printer.

4. Touch Check Now.

Once done, restart the printer. 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to go ahead and update the router firmware.

Once done, please ensure you have WPA-2 network security set on the router. 

Now let's try to restore the printer to the network defaults: 

To restore the printer to the original network settings

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch ( Settings ).

2. Touch Restore Network Settings, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Now perform a network power drain. Follow the steps below:

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Now run the wireless setup wizard on the printer and then connect the printer to the network.

1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch ( Wireless ).

2. Touch ( Settings ).

3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

4. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same problem. Not sure if problem is with router setup (Hitron) or printer setup (5255).  I am stuck at the wireless setup process.  The correct wifi name can be selected but it does not give me the option to enter the password.  So then if I press continue the panel says "connecting" for a long time and then results say "unable to connect to the network."  I am so frustrated with this new printer and wish I had stayed with the cheaper HP deskjet that never gave me any trouble until it died 😞

So, is there something I am missing in the router setup? Everything was factory reset unplugged and restarted with the same result. Plus I cannot print any of the help pages because I cannot reconnect the auto-ink without the wifi setup. Catch 22 Grr. Please Help!

HP Recommended

I  have the same problem with an 8620. I have reset to factory defaults, powered everything up and down multiple times, triple checked passwords and SOS IDs. Still get on able to connect. I can’t connect to the guest network on my router, but that is completely open and unprotected. Please advise ASAP.

HP Recommended

My Hitron had a setting that needed to be changed to allow the hp past the router firewall. It was already cleared for the desktop settings. After fixing this, I went through the entire process again and finally got it to set up wirelessly. My first printer was a dud but the replacement they sent connected right away after changing this setting. You might also check to see if you have the 2 to 5 G swapping. We had to separate ours in order to get things to connect on the 5G wireless consistently. Otherwise our xboxes were getting priority and the phones and printer were stuck on 2G. But there is a modem setting to either separate the connections or "manage" them so they have a static address. 

HP Recommended

Hello, we had a similar issue with our HP wireless printer as well as our Garmin with the new Hitron gateway with GCI in Anchorage, AK. We sold our HP printer, but I did manage to finally get the Garmin connected to the Wi-Fi!

I had the same issues, with the network broadcasting as "Unsecured" and then not allowing connections for either the HP printer or our Garmin. I think I found the issue!

Log into your Hitron gateway settings: Type 192.168.0.1 and enter your network password, then go to Wireless, then 2.4G, and change the Primary SSID setting to WPA-PSK (we had ours at WPA2-PSK and that would not allow Garmin to connect). Thus far, my Chromebook, MacBook Air, and cell phones are all operating under these Hitron gateway settings!

I hope this works for you! 

HP Recommended

Yes. Changing my SSID Auth Mode to "WPA-PSK" solves the problem. In fact I changed it to "Auto: WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK" and it works too. Thanks for the help. It's so disappointing that HP's official troubleshooting cannot identify this problem and keep on blaming it to "MAC Address Filtering Turned On". 

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

I solved this but I'm not exactly sure what did it.  First print the wireless details from the printer.  Next I connected my laptop to the router via ethernet and logged on to the router.  Under the wireless tab select "Access Control"  Add Managed Device, using the information from the report printed earlier.

Under the Security Tab, Basic Settings, 2.4G Primary, choose WPA Personal.  Under the Auth Mode, choose Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK).  In order to have these drop down available, I had to choose security "OPEN" which knocked everybody offline, then choose Personal.  I hope you don't have to do that!

After saving all these settings, use the printer's wireless setup.  The router still didn't have a security icon, but when I selected it and entered my routers password, I was in!

My printer is an HP ENVY Photo 7100 series.  It has connected to several routers with no problem until I got this Hitron.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.