Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Working with Windows 10,  after an update can no longer print from word, get the message

word can't print due to a problem with Printer settings, can print from publisher and excel sometimes.

I have not changed any settings, help

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @taylor19

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

To better assist you - May I have the exact model name of the printer? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

While you respond to that, download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, we've had a recent problem too ours was caused by the printer properties says paper was unspecified, changed to plain and it works

HP Recommended

Still unable to print from Word after Windows update after uninstalling/reinstalling.  HP OfficeJet Pro 8740.

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem ie " Word cannot print due to a problem with Printer settings" with my WIFI connected HP OfficeJet Pro 8740. This seemed to start after last Windows 10 Update of KB4524147, which I did on 5Oct2019. I tried rebooting laptop, rebooting printer but no good. I removed & re-installed thge printer and same problem.  Scan from printer to PC was working, and copy on the printer was working.

Since KB4524147 details say it addresses a spooling problem, I uninstalled KB4524147, and can now print.

HP Recommended

I had Microsoft work on this yesterday.  It was the last update to Windows 10 that caused the problem.  Once the update was removed, the printer worked perfect again.  They are working on a fix.  It only seemed to affect my HP printer not any of my other ones.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please run Windows Update and install ANY available update, that should resolve any such problem.

Microsoft has released an update (KB4517389 for Windows 10 1903) to address this issue yesterday evening.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks ShlomiL.  Have installed KB4517389 and my HP Officejet Pro 8740 is still working. (I already got it working by uninstalling the bad KB4524147 update).

HP Recommended

God bless you!  This worked for me, after several evenings of terrible frustration.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.