Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-02-2019 03:08 AM
Working with Windows 10, after an update can no longer print from word, get the message
word can't print due to a problem with Printer settings, can print from publisher and excel sometimes.
I have not changed any settings, help
10-04-2019 07:39 AM - edited 10-07-2019 09:18 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
To better assist you - May I have the exact model name of the printer? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.
While you respond to that, download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues.
If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -
1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".
2. Look for HP Printer software.
3. Right-click to uninstall.
4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.
5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.
6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).
8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.
9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.
10. Select Ok.
11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.
15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
10-08-2019 09:22 PM
I had the exact same problem ie " Word cannot print due to a problem with Printer settings" with my WIFI connected HP OfficeJet Pro 8740. This seemed to start after last Windows 10 Update of KB4524147, which I did on 5Oct2019. I tried rebooting laptop, rebooting printer but no good. I removed & re-installed thge printer and same problem. Scan from printer to PC was working, and copy on the printer was working.
Since KB4524147 details say it addresses a spooling problem, I uninstalled KB4524147, and can now print.
10-09-2019 04:11 AM
I had Microsoft work on this yesterday. It was the last update to Windows 10 that caused the problem. Once the update was removed, the printer worked perfect again. They are working on a fix. It only seemed to affect my HP printer not any of my other ones.
10-09-2019 09:28 AM
Please run Windows Update and install ANY available update, that should resolve any such problem.
Microsoft has released an update (KB4517389 for Windows 10 1903) to address this issue yesterday evening.
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂