Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Is it normal for simple documents to take up to 5 minutes for a single page?

Here's some data points:

• The "Configuration Page" prints very quickly (from the printer's web page: Information -> Print Info Pages -> Print Configuration CHange)
  • Printing the web-service Info sheet takes forever (from the printer's web page: HP Web Services -> Web Services Setup -> Print Info Sheet)
    It takes 10 to 15 seconds for the green light to start blinking indicating that it has received a print job, then another 3 minutes 15 seconds to actually print the page.
  • Sending an email to my hpeprint address with a small PDF (52k, no graphics) attached is similar: 10 to 30 seconds to start processing, then another 3:40 to print.
  • As a low-end test, I also sent a tiny text file with the words "Hello World!": 10 to 30 seconds to start, then 1 minute to print

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Can you tell me more about your setup? What is the operating system that you are using and how are you connected to the computer? Are there multiple computer that are having similar issues? 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem:

First I tought it was because I used eprint with this printer on an local wi-fi network (no Internet connection added), but it seems it is extremely slow even on my home wi-fi network.

If I print  a pdf (8kbs, uncompressed) from my computer via USB it prints instantly, if I print via the wireless network the led blinks immediately, but the pdf is printed after 4 minutes. If I print via the ePrint app, from my Android tablet, it prints in another 4 minutes

I've bought this printer solely for printing using ePrint via my tablet. If I don't fix this soon I will probably return it since it's useless for me.

Any help?

HP Recommended

Hi georgeserik

I understand the printer is printing slow over the wireless network but fast when connected by a usb cable.

When the printer is connected to a wireless network, low signal quality or
interference might be delaying print jobs.

Make sure printer is connected directly to a wall outlet.

Restart the router.

I would setup a static ip for the printer. Follow Step six: Assign your HP product a static IP address from the document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817031

Let me know if that makes a difference.

How far is the printer from the router?
A firewall might be preventing the HP product from accessing the computer and wireless
network.
A nearby device that emits radio signals (such as a microwave or cordless telephone) might interfere with the wireless connection.
What is in between the printer and the router? (wall, fridge, ceiling)

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, but the wireless network was set up correctly. The LED started blinking almost instantly.

I wanted to install the printer on a on-site wireless network (network 1), but I encountered the 4 minute delays between printing. Afterwards I went to another location and connected to another wireless network (network 2), but I experienced the issue again. It's worth mentioning that network 1 (the final location of the printer) has no internet connection, it's just a local netowrk. Network 2, on the other hand, is a home wifi with access to the Internet. I even tried pulling out the WAN, but the issue was still present: from the time that I'd hit "PRINT" in the ePrint app until the printer actually started to print there was a delay of 4 minutes and a few seconds (almost dead-on everytime).

When I arrived home I borrowed a brand new wireless router and recreated network 1 (local wifi, no Internet connection). After connecting the printer to the network and sending a print job via the laptop to make sure everything is working perfectly, I added to the network: two Android tablets (one with 4.0.4 and another with 4.3),  a Lumia 920 (running Windows Phone 8), the laptop (from USB to wifi, but I didn't remove the physical usb link between the laptop and the printer). Then I begun the tests and was amaezed:

Notice: I randomly sent generated pdfs (pdf reference 1.3 compatible) to be printed. I always mixed them up so the printer wouldn't use a cache. When changing the conditions, I sent the same pdfs, but not necesarry in a distinct order, along with other pdfs.

- printer connected to the laptop via USB, and both in the same netowrk (conditions 1) => print job sent from Android ePrint came out on paper in ~ 20 seconds. I ran about 20 print jobs using this environment, even sending print jobs from both tablets at the same time. I begun to think that the printer uses the laptop via USB to print faster (processing the pdfs or something) so I tested this with conditions 2.

- printer USB unplugged from the laptop, but both on the same network (conditions 2) => several print jobs sent from Android ePrint were printed in the same ~ 20 seconds, so I tought I was wrong at first, but after a while the printer started to experience the 4 minute delays again. This brang up the USB connection as a viable cause, so I went back to conditions 1

- printer USB plugged in the laptop, both printer and laptop on the same wifi network (conditions 3 == conditions 1) => I pressumed the delay would stay for a few print jobs, just like it had appeared, but the delay didn't go away, not even after ~ 1 hour worth of tests. I then went on with conditions4

- printer USB unplugged and disconnected from the laptop, the laptop wifi turned off (conditions 4) => after several tests I noticed the delay was gone at some print jobs, but it would not disappear completely.

After that I shut down the printer, turned it back on and retried all conditions. The only conclusion was: The delays are somewhat randomly assigned, you either have a 4 minute delay or you don't, regardless of the link between the printer and the laptop. This is what happens if I use the HP ePrint app. I even tried turning web services on or off, toggling settings and so on; the delay still appears, with a random chance. It's just a matter of luck: you either experience the delay, or you don't.

I was decided to return the printer, but I wanted to find the problem's source. It clearly wasn't the presence of the laptop, nor the web services or settings on the printer, nor the distance or any other thing that may cross your mind so I decided to try another app and determine if the problem is 100% present due to the printer or not. I have undone some settings so it was somewhat back to the default, just connected to the network.

I've downloaded PrinterShare (a client tested DirectOffice Print and the results were the same) and started to send print jobs to the printer, from the Android tablets. Every single time as soon as PrinterShare repied "Print Job sent", the printer would start printing. Sending the print job depends on how many pages you need to print, but it tipically took about 10 seconds for a page to be sent.

Recreated all previous conditions and the results are conssistent: 10 seconds per page, never experienced the 4 minute delay. In other words the printer works perfectly, but the app does not.

Important notices:

- I am not a monkey, nor a regular user; the wireless networks were propperly set up, affected by the same amount of interference in all test cases. After testing I printed a report of the printer's activity and it reported 0 bytes of dropped packets for both sent and received data. ==> NO NETWORK ISSUES

- the problem is clearly with the HP ePrint application when it comes to this printer - LaserJet Pro P1102W- (and possibly other models). There is a glitch that you should mend in your application.

I would encourage HP, and hope this report helps out in some way, to fix this issue because it's a bit embarassing that the manufacturer's proprietary application render the hardware useless, while a third party software makes it work like a charm.

In conclusion, I would like to congratulate PrinterShare and DirectOffice Print for providing a decent software solution that works as intended. I'd like to be able to say the same thing about HP's application, but if this were the case I guess I'd have 30 minutes less spent on HP's forums and more spent on my projects.

Thank you Gemini02 for your time and answer,

Have a nice day

HP Recommended

I have eaxctly the smae issue with a brand new  HP laserjet 1102w.

The machine was brought specifically for its ePrint ability. We send four 10-20 page documents as PDF every day.  Printing takes approx 4 minutes PER PAGE.  This problem does not occur when printing from a laptop on site whether connected via USB or Wifi.

The router is position nearby and working well. The printer has a fixed IP address.  ePrinting an email is not fast but acceptable. PDF attachments take forever.  Checking with HPConnected to see the status of the print job shows me it is taking forever. Perhaps the issue is with HP's servers not liking PDF files?

HP ...are you willing to acknowledge there is a problem and report back?  Would be mightily helpful before I return the product.

Thanks in advance.

Mark W

I should add, the PDF files are small in size....max 150Kb

HP Recommended

Hi Delivery. When printing a PDF over ePrint, I would expect it to print slower than a local print. One of the main factors would be the quality setting cannot be changed over ePrint, where a local print can be set to a lower/faster quality. The PDF files do go through processing when they are received by the ePrint server, so the resulting file sent to your printer will not be the exact same file you sent to be print.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the swift response, Terry.

I understand the explanation but it doesn't really help!  It doesnt seem that much to ask that I send an 18 page PDF file of pretty much miniscule size to the printer and it prints it without delay; it currently takes almost half an hour.

By contract, when I send the SAME document to my HP 8600 series at home it coems out very fast indeed. 

So the issue must be with the printer itself surely?

Your further thoughts much appreciated.

Mark W

HP Recommended
Hi Delivery,
As mentioned in my detailed post, the problem is solved by using 3rd party software such as PrinterShare or DirectOffice Print. I would recommend PrinterShare, but both work fine. You should try the free demo before you buy the full app, but I'm 99% certain it works. The app costs around 4$.

Good luck•
HP Recommended

Hi George and thanks for your swift response also.

I think I would be right in saying that PrinterShare only works if the remote computer is attached to a PC that is running some sort of host software.  My HP P1102w is standalone, connected by WiFi and there are no computers on the site (it is a packing warehouse only).  

Increasingly frustrated as the PH solution works fine on my home HP printer (with a sepaprate HPePrint address) so it _must_ be the printer at fault and not the workings in between the two, surely?

Don't mind returning the machine and getting an alternative ....got any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.