Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Product name: HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC

Product number: D1E93UA#ABA

I have uninstalled/re-installed the driver, rebooted, and still no sound.  When I right-click Speakers/HP, and Test - the pop-up says Device in Use.  There are no legit applications using the device.  I have been running Windows Defender since I used the official HP Recovery Discs I ordered.  I have not visited questionable websites, yet, it looks like I have malware?  

How do I run the troubleshooter?  My Windows 8 search charm does not give me the Everywhere option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BigBuds:

SuperMario1 (a HP Techy guru) in another thread on the subject claims that the audio problem was caused by Windows update KB2962407 and states that uninstalling the update (which is easy to do) will solve the problem and should bring the audio back to pre-update.

I followed the steps below and my audio has been working perfectly since.

So here is what you need to do: (note that you need to do step 2 to ensure that the auto windows updater doesn't reinstall the KB2962407 update:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that the following troubleshooting is ONLY a workaround, for now.

Uninstalling the Windows Update, then hiding it, is the only method of eliminating the issue if it caused by this update. Here is the procedure for uninstalling the update:

Step1: 

1. Go into Control Panel, then click on “Programs and Features”.

2. Click on “View Installed Updates”. Look for the update with the ID number KB2962407.

3. Right-click on the update and select “Uninstall”. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Next, here is the procedure for hiding the update:

1. Go into Control Panel, then click on “Windows Updates”.

2. Click on “Check for Updates”. When the process is completed, is should find important update(s) available. Clicking on the message will open a window where the important update(s) is.

3. Right-click on the KB2962407 update and select “Hide Update”. This will prevent the update from being installed next time Windows Updates are being installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck....

View solution in original post

87 REPLIES 87
HP Recommended

Hi, similar problem here.

HP Pavilion g6-1356el Notebook PC

Product number A9Y21EA#ABZ

Windows 8.0 Pro 64bit with Media Center

A few weeks ago, maybe after a Windows update but I'm not that sure... it started.

After a reboot, audio works fine. Then I use my laptop for a few things, mainly browser-related (I use Internet Explorer) and all of a sudden audio stops working, mute button (it's on the F10 key) doesn't work, mute function on the tray bar doesn't work anymore, and if I go to Control Panel, Sound, Configure, select the IDT item and click test, there it appears the pop-up saying "The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again.".

I went into task manager and looked for anything that might have been locking audio but no clue. Killed this and that to no avail.

I reinstalled sp59154 (IDT Audio for my laptop/OS combination) but the issue reappeared.

Now I just removed IDT Sound through control panel and I'm running the standard Windows sound drivers, and it appears to be working fine, that makes me think there's some compatibility issue between some Windows updated module and the (oldish) IDT driver. Anyone experiencing this issue that could confirm their laptops are working fine without IDT drivers?

Thanks

m

HP Recommended

Hi i have the exact same problem with audio not working, I have been in contact with microsoft and reinstalled windows 8 after updating to idt codec driver i get device is being used by another application again. I am sure it is to do with windows update and idt driver. I am currently using microsoft audio device driver but it is so quiet, cant listen to music. If any one comes up with a fix please post your findings. HP need to fix this

HP Recommended

forgot to say  i have hp pavilion g6-2380sa windows 8 64 bit

HP Recommended

I uninstalled the IDT device driver that was provided by HP.  I am now using Microsoft Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) - AudioEndpoint.inf 

Two days in a row audio is working great.  

Now I still have to get my wifi from dropping out constantly... another forum post topic.

HP Recommended

The constant WiFi dropping problem is a simple driver issue but yoy need the Intel driver from intel.com rather than the HP driver.

Use this driver or newer:

Intel version 15.12.0.6

25/02/2014

Centrino Wireless

HP Recommended

Is there not a fix for this i cant use sound on my laptop

HP Recommended

The fix for the sound not working is to remove the HP driver altogether, uninstall the device choose delete driver; rescan and let it pick up the MS driver which works fine. You loose BEATS but at least you have sound. HP need to update the driver for Windows 8 wwhen MS updates have been applied.

HP Recommended

Using the MS driver may get some sound but there is more going on here. The MS update is the common denominator in the many threads started in the last week on this issue.

The same day I lost my audio similarly to everyone else (my audio comes back with reboot but fails at some point), I also lost my network connection. Device manager said it was shut down due to a conflict. I restarted it and haven't had any issues since but the audio problem is ongoing. Tonight I have the audio issue again and now my number pad does not respond. Again, reboot temporarily solves the problems. Netflix tells me there is a problem with Silverlight. Suprise! Microsoft. There are bigger issues with the MS update going on. It is not just the audio and I shouldn't have to lose my BEATS. Come on MS and HP. Figure this one out and let us in on the problem and the solution!  FYI I am running an HP ENVY dv7 and windows 8.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem for 2 days now and since I'm a novice I thought it might have been something I did but I still can't get sound?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.